Author Topic: Register of Immigrants early 1920s  (Read 163 times)

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Register of Immigrants early 1920s
« on: Thursday 30 May 19 00:46 BST (UK) »
I was viewing a 1923 Register of Immigrants at the State Records Office in Western Australia and wondered if anyone could tell me what the reference numbers against each name mean and also the initials N and NP. The numbers were not consecutive and not many entries had the letters. The staff at the SRO didn't know, so I'm hoping somebody here might.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Immigrants early 1920s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 May 19 01:24 BST (UK) »
The National Archives of Australia's digitised passenger list for that voyage is here:
http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/30241401/1 
Sorry, I have no spare moments at present to check if the details on your uploaded image could be expanded on by checking the digitised image I am linking.  eg perhaps the numbers on the right are their ticket numbers for that voyage.   

From my own research on passenger lists held by the National Archives in Canberra, I had understood that 'N' stood for 'Nominated' ie part of an Immigration Scheme operating for some/many/all of the passengers on a particular voyage, but I am not sure of WA State Records Office holdings, sorry. 

Do you have an image of the front cover of the folder that held that page?  Or do you have the first page with the headings for each column, or the last page with a summary ... quite often the last page uses the full words rather than just the abbreviations.
Also can you tell from the WA SRO which organisation was the originator of the record ...

Fingers crossed that your enquiry will be sorted shortly. 

ADD,  your post says 1923, so perhaps that's a list prepared of people applying to migrate, it seems to be in squasi alphabetical order by surname.   The passenger list I have located is for Charles and Annie CLOUDSLEY who arrived in September 1924.  I have not checked if others on your list came on that voyage or on another voyage or did not come... 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 May 19 01:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for such a prompt reply! Actually this was not a passenger list, but a book SRO ref: AUWA S2399 cons 5681-5685, described as such "Various registers and volumes of newspaper cuttings relating to immigrants. The 9 volumes in Acc. 568 were transferred by the Commonwealth Department of Immigration in 1953.The volumes were received from the Commonwealth Department of Immigration in 1953. "
There were no headings on the front page to describe what each column meant. The register was a volume which was A-Z for the whole of 1924. No cross referencing either. No mention of the ships they arrived on. See attached

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 May 19 02:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks,  I will pass that info on to one of my rellies.  Fingers crossed he may be able to give us all some clues.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.