Author Topic: Painting restoration.  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Painting restoration.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 May 19 23:36 BST (UK) »
It was the dog slobber that I was querying. Did he have a dog?

I thought that's what you meant.  ;)

Do you have a budget for the restoration Annette ? I think often these things which are labour intensive and require skill and expensive materials end up costing more than the painting is worth, however if it is something you love then it would be worth it.

Obviously you need to find someone in your local(ish) area as with something that large you need to consider transportation costs too.

How much damage is there to the painting? (Can we see a picture of it please?  ;)) In the examples in Gadget's link, I think they are successful because the faces are not damaged, and the restorer can take a bit of artistic licence with other areas.  :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 May 19 07:12 BST (UK) »
On the back of this query, which has received several helpful answers, I have a fairly modern image of a 2 people one of whom has died.

I have had 2 very kind and helpful people work their magic on the image, but I am always fascinated by the range of difference in the photo restorations here, so if anyone would like to take on the challenge, please do send me a pm.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 May 19 08:16 BST (UK) »
Mousehowse,

Maybe you should start a new thread and post your image again, or ask for a specific treatment on your previous thread, if that is what you require.  :)

There may be some restorers who see your request here, but the subject title of the thread may not catch the attention of others.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 May 19 08:28 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse,

Maybe you should start a new thread and post your image again, or ask for a specific treatment on your previous thread, if that is what you require.  :)

There may be some restorers who see your request here, but the subject title of the thread may not catch the attention of others.

Thanks Ruskie. Sadly my image has yet to be posted as the moderator felt it did not meet the stringent parameters required on this board.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline annettej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 May 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
Not yet set a budget, really want to get the painting restored, but will have to make inquiries like you say.
LONDON - Lewis, Bone, Ashby, Balch, Gayler, Williams, Dolt, Gudgeon, Veale.
CAMBS - Warboys, Worboys.
HERTS - Ashby, Eames, Elliott, Wellings.
STAFFS - Bate, Purslow, Cresswell.
KENT - Nightingale, Orrom, Prall,
SUSSEX - Lawrence/Laurence
NORTHANTS - Worboys, Evans,
WORCS , STAFFS, SALOP - Oakes, Northall, Knight, Mills,