Author Topic: FreeBMD searching improved  (Read 2789 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: FreeBMD searching improved
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 June 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
This is a standard feature of most lists in graphical interfaces (not just web browsers).

That's really useful information.  Probably.  If only I knew what it meant :-\  :D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 June 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
It means that if there is a list of stuff, such as filenames in a folder, you can single-click anywhere in there, then pressing a letter or number will take you to the first thing in that list that starts with the letter you have pressed.

In most cases pressing the same key again will take you to the second item which starts with that character.

So if you browse to C:\WINDOWS with Explorer, and click anywhere in the list of files and subfolders to the right, then press the H key, you'll probably end up on the folder called Help. Pressing H again will get the next matching item in the list (the HPQ folder on my laptop). A third press takes me to the file called HelpPane.exe. A couple more presses of H cycles back to the Help folder again.

The same arrangement works in the box which appears for File, Open in most applications.

Some of us first used Windows before there were mice available, so finding the keyboard shortcuts was compulsory. ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 June 19 23:01 BST (UK) »
Now that really is useful ;D

At work from 1990 onwards I had my very own terminal and wrote my own letters, but extremely slowly as I'd used dictaphones previously and never encountered a keyboard.  'Training' consisted of asking a neighbour which button to press to make it do whatever, or stop doing whatever.  Sometimes I'd threaten to write the blasted letters by hand because it was quicker (not allowed).  I've had to improve since then, but much of the ever-changing jargon is still alien to me.

Anyway, thank you for that useful tip which I've just been trying out.  Successfully ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 June 19 12:55 BST (UK) »
I didn't know that, so thank you, Carol.

I rarely used the county and district selections as the scrolling was just too laborious on a mobile phone. Sometimes I put volume 1d to limit the results if I expected the event to be in Wandsworth, for example.

This sounds like a great improvement and I shall have to try it out.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 June 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
That is a great help on a mobile phone or ipad as scrolling was a real pain. Thanks for the tip. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....