Author Topic: Who lived in a House like this?  (Read 1636 times)

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who lived in a House like this?
« Reply #54 on: Monday 03 June 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
So it's not a nursing home these days ??? :-\ ;D

Carol

Naughty.
Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 03 June 19 09:21 BST (UK) »
So it's not a nursing home these days ??? :-\ ;D

Carol

No...Thank Goodness, but it is in Wales...and it survived in all it's splendour  ;D ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 03 June 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
It looks like an ancestor of the former famous inhabitant,Lord Raglan was later involved in a controversy over the status of Monmouthshire which had been "ambiguous"

The Local Government Commission for Wales established in 1958 included Monmouthshire within its review area, and in 1961 proposed merging the area into a new "South East Wales" county.[27] The proposed inclusion of Monmouthshire in Wales infuriated Lord Raglan, by now Lord Lieutenant of the county.[28] In reaction, a "Make Monmouthshire Welsh" campaign was launched in August 1961 to gain parliamentary recognition that the county was in Wales.[29] In November 1961 it was announced that a branch of the Royal Society of St George was to be formed, emphasising the county's English identity.[30] Another group, the "Monmouthshire is Welsh" society, was formed and was supported by local MPs Michael Foot and Leo Abse.[21] Two years later Monmouth Borough Council made representations to the Minister of Housing and Local Government seeking the transfer of the town to Herefordshire in the event that the reforms were carried out. Signs erected by Monmouthshire County Council welcoming motorists to Wales were defaced or removed.[31] The County Council placed a revised sign at Monmouth stating "Welcome to Wales and Monmouthshire"; first, the words "..and Monmouthshire" were painted over, and then the words "..to Wales" were also obliterated.[32]

The Welsh Office, established in 1965, included Monmouthshire within its remit. The Wales and Berwick Act was repealed in regard to Wales in 1967 by the Welsh Language Act 1967, which however also continued to use the phrase "Wales and Monmouthshire". The Interpretation Act 1978 hence provides that in legislation passed between 1967 and 1974, "a reference to England includes Berwick upon Tweed and Monmouthshire".

Regards
Roger

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 03 June 19 10:33 BST (UK) »
That's so interesting Roger, thank you

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:18 BST (UK) »
it's much bigger than I thought ..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Has anyone seen Henry Atcherson Carson,born Canada 1844?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update Roger, it makes interesting reading...I feel a trip out there in the caravan is a must do!  ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 03 June 19 13:54 BST (UK) »
Interesting reading Roger's piece about Wales and Monmouthshire.

When I was in school in Denbighshire in the 1950s/60s, we were always taught that it was 'Wales and Monmouthshire', I must have been indoctrinated because I still don't really regard Monmouthshire as part of Wales. OK - I know it is but....

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 03 June 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
I now know "Who lived in a House Like This"....Lady Julia Ann Raglan  ;D
Carol