Author Topic: Travelling Stowman Carmarthenshire  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Travelling Stowman Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 June 19 21:28 BST (UK) »
Here's Daniel Evans getting into a bit of trouble

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3584763/3584766/5/  [heading  "An Assault"]

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 June 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the article, I had not seen it.
I searched for articles relating to Daniel, but around the time of the war.
To get a better picture, I should also have looked earlier.

Dated 1913, it is after the 1911 census when I thought he had stopped travelling.
His wife Catherine Anne Evans was buried 13 Nov 1916, age 46, at Pembrey.
Now I am now unsure if Pembrey was fixed accommodation, or if they were still travelling; and if that death was the when he stopped travelling.
By 1918, when Aaron married, they were both recorded as Colliers, though Aaron was by then in the Army. From Pembrey there are coal mines within easy reach.

The interest was his son Aran/Aaron marrying Martha Jane, the daughter of my great-grandparents. I believe, but still need the marriage certificate as proof, that Daniel married my great-grandfather’s widow the year before, also a Martha Jane. Because of that complexity, I am interested to know what happened to both pairs.

Some articles I found, could be him, but I am not sure, this one has to be him.
From this assault, I can see how he fitted in with the Williams crowd.

When I first started searching, I thought it was only my grandfather getting into trouble all of the time. I have so many articles relating to family members of different generations, including my great-great-grandfather. Court sessions, jail and ending up in the workhouse/assylum. It was a hard life. If they were do-gooders, it would be a boring search.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 June 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
This morning I looked at the original census records for Daniel Evans in the 1901 and 1911.
In 1911, I can see that Daniel was crossed out and John added, with a symbol I do not understand (used twice) of a pen cross with a dot in each quadrant. Any ideas?

The birth location looks to be Llanwrda (ending da), a village outside Llandovery, but associated with it.

In 1901, Aberavon, Glamorgan, there is a word I cannot make out above his occupation. The same word is used for other Travelling Showmen on that page, and more times on the next page. The word Hawk is used against some, which will be Hawker. Working in the library, I was unable to take a photograph; but the word look like Schib, Grhib. Any ideas?

I am missing 1 sibling, but accept it will never be found. According to the 1911 census they had 4 living children and none had died, so in the 1901 census, 4 children should be listed. In 1911, I could understand that 1 had left home.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 June 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
Looking at the census the name does look like Llawnda ..Sorry I can't help with other Symbol's
1901 census the word looks like exhib  ???

Rosie

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 June 19 13:25 BST (UK) »
The cross and dots symbol is I think just a way of showing where a correction is needed and marking the correct text (like we might use an asterisk)

Agree the 1901 word is "Exhib" (as in exhibitor) - ie he's showing something not selling something (which the hawkers would be). A number of the showmen have the same term

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 June 19 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks, That makes sense, but my next question has to be what was he exhibiting; is there any way of knowing? There seems to be so many exhibiting, but what?

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 17:16 BST (UK) »
To conclude this chat, I wanted to update some of the loose ends. But first, thanks for your support in providing me with such valuable information. With this information being added, it might also help others.

I finally got around to ordering the marriage certificate of Daniel Evans and Martha Jane Williams, and today it arrived. My hunch that both surviving parents married was correct; they married 6 months before their children. By the time Aran married, Daniel must have moved from being a Public Amusement Caterer, living in a van at Carmarthen Park, to being a Collier. The certificate says Caterer, so I don't know why 'Exhib' was used in census records, unless he changed.

26 Nov 1917 . Marriage . Register Office Carmarthen
Daniel Evans . 47 . Widower . Public Amusement Caterer . Van Carmarthen Park . Father: Edward Evans (Deceased) . Basket Maker
Martha Jane Williams . 46 . Widow . Fruiterer . Ivy Bush Inn, Market Street, Haverfordwest . Father: Thomas Richards . Railway Porter

15 May 1918
– Register Office Haverfordwest
Aran Evans . 23 . Batchelor . Private - Machine Gun Corps - 272440 – Collier . 19 Market Street, Haverfordwest . Father: Daniel Evans – Collier
Martha Jane Williams . 24 . Spinster . 19 Market Street, Haverfordwest . Father: Thomas Williams (Deceased) – Fish merchant

Once I have written up census records etc. I will forward the information to the romanygenes website, so they can add it to the existing information. Thanks again for your help; this is the end of the road for this chat; and it would seem also for Daniel Evans. But I will keep looking.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
That's good you got the information you were looking for  :)

Rosie

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 June 19 20:16 BST (UK) »
An update to my last post: Daniel Evans married Martha Jane in Carmarthen. Six months later on Aran and Martha Jane’s marriage, he was a Collier.

In the 1939 Register, it would seem they are not together, though both are still living in Carmarthen. Martha J Evans is described as married rather than widow, so I assumed Daniel was still living, but not with her in Blue Street, Carmarthen. She is living with two of her female relatives and classed as incapacitated There are four records are officially closed. Martha Jane died in 1940 and probate passed her effects to daughter Florence.

I then found Daniel Evans, whose location is The Living Van in Carmarthen, and married. Also living there is Mayra, May Roberts, who is single and undertaking household duties. There are three records officially closed. I assume from the address, Daniel was living in a caravan and trading as Fish Monger, but I am unsure how this was done; from his home, or independently. I think Daniel died in 1945, but still need to verify that.

There are still some questions and the only option remaining is to look through local newspapers, which I will start next week.