Author Topic: ThruLines  (Read 3424 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ThruLines
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 June 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
Yes I like ThruLines too.  At least if you have a dna match you can see from whom it has arisen and check out their info and sometimes it does push you in a different direction than that in which you have previously been travelling.

If the other trees are rubbish you have lost nothing - just the same as hints on Ancestry trees - but if there is a dna connection then it offers a path to check out.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 June 19 19:09 BST (UK) »
I had a good experiene of them today

Definitely increased march finds by putting one name in box and giving alternative and adding also known as in facts .

Ie instead of William Billy McB
Having william McB
Alternative (rather than preferred) Billy MacB

Also known as Bill Bloggs ...alias or adoptive name.

Im convinced there were more matches on my aunts dna linked tree because i asked if less were added when an account lapses.

Either way nice thru lines with pics ...some 3rd cousins have used my pics and are happy to use there which makes trees come alive.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline kelsmell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 June 19 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I had an email from ancestry on Monday after I complained many times the email said that I didn’t have enough family info on my tree for thrulines which I knew was completely incorrect.

I changed my name & both my parents from initials to their full names & now I have thruLines that is fantastic as I can now get common ancestors, very please so big thanks.  :)

Winship/Simpson/Addison from Durham.
Wade from Lancashire & Durham.
Johnson/Johnstone from Bellingham Northumberland & Durham.
Beattie from Angus & Durham.
Dicky/Low From Kincardineshire Scotland.
Smyth/Doyle/O'Connor/Connolly from Dublin.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 June 19 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I had an email from ancestry on Monday after I complained many times the email said that I didn’t have enough family info on my tree for thrulines which I knew was completely incorrect.

I changed my name & both my parents from initials to their full names & now I have thruLines that is fantastic as I can now get common ancestors, very please so big thanks.  :)

I wonder if that is the problem with others who don't get Thrulines? I haven't got full first names, just initials, though I do have full surnames. Worth a try, everyone.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 14:54 BST (UK) »
I have never got Thrulines either, but then I too have intials, will try full names and see what happens.  Have complained several times to Ancestry and they have been as much help as a chocolate teapot.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
You have a much better chance of success if you use names, dates and locations. There is no way that the system can conclude whether J Smith and John Smith are the same person.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:36 BST (UK) »
Yes I like ThruLines too.  At least if you have a dna match you can see from whom it has arisen and check out their info and sometimes it does push you in a different direction than that in which you have previously been travelling.

It doesn't tell you from whom the DNA match has arisen.  All Thrulines can work out is that you have a DNA match and appear to have a papertrail link to the same person or people, but it in no way proves this. 

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 June 19 13:21 BST (UK) »
Yes but surely with any dna connection you yourself have to verify a papertrail and with Thrulines it sets you off down a particular route - particularly helpful if names don't mean anything.

I just find it helpful anyway - it's their version of clustering.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 June 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
The problem I'm seeing with Thrulines for one branch is that back in the 1970s a relative wrote a book about some of my forebears and somehow formed the conclusion my ancestor's father was called Henry and his mother was Margaret, who lived in Perthshire.   This has been replicated in numerous public trees at Ancestry.

Recently another relative found a death notice in the 1840s back in Scotland for our relative (7 months after he died out here) which says his father was the late James from Abernethy in Perthshire.  I believe I've found the baptism of our ancestor and several of his siblings - some in Abernethy and some in other parts of Perthshire but still nearby.  Quite a few of us are DNA matches with descendants of these siblings - several have transferred to Gedmatch.

I've put James in the tree attached to the DNA but a cousin has attached his DNA to a tree that doesn't go back that far.  So Thrulines has given him Henry and Margaret as his ancestors AND has linked another DNA match to them. 

This obviously falls under your advice to check the papertrail.

In spite of our efforts and sharing our discoveries on a family FB group barely any of the public trees have replaced Henry and Mgt with James and Grizal.  One tree has even added an image of the newspaper announcement but not updated the date of death and parents!