Author Topic: Claude henry uhthoff, 133 finborough road.  (Read 3905 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Claude henry uhthoff, 133 finborough road.
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 06:30 BST (UK) »
First post:

1901 Annie Louisa Brooks marries Arthur Henry Parnell

Marriage September quarter 1901 St George Hanover Square district vol 1a pg 1103

Annie Louisa Brookes  and Arthur Henry Parnall
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 06:36 BST (UK) »
I had noticed Ruskie's reply...

"Initial thought is that there might be a transcription error or misinterpretation of that surname"

I did a search for possible variants/misspellings/mistranscriptions through pronunciation/dialect of the surname (in Scotland) as an example (not saying any were in Scotland)...

ENGHOFF
INNHOFF
OSTHOFF
UHTHOFF
UHTLOFF
UPHOFF
U'THOF
UTHOFF

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 06:42 BST (UK) »
First post:

1901 Annie Louisa Brooks marries Arthur Henry Parnell

Marriage September quarter 1901 St George Hanover Square district vol 1a pg 1103

Annie Louisa Brookes  and Arthur Henry Parnall

Thanks heywood - I thought it might be in there somewhere.  :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 07:04 BST (UK) »
There are these records to consider:

Arrivals London from NY - ship Menominee
11th April 1903
Master C H Parnall 5 yrs
Mrs D (?) Parnall 25 yrs

Arrivals Liverpool from NY - ship Etruria
September 1903
Annie Parnall 25 yrs

NY Immigration
29th November 1903 ship Mesaba
Annie Louisa Parnall 25 yrs travelling to husband
Claude Henry Parnall 6 yrs

Offline Lorraine Katherine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie, Ruskie and Heywood

1901 UK CENSUS
Claude Henry Uhthoff born 1897 Kensington, baptised 1897 Kensington
Have looked for Claude using *off and *ph worldwide
Have looked for Claude Parnell/Parnall worldwide
Have looked for Claude Brookes worldwide

1901 UK CENSUS
Enrique Antonio Uhthoff born 1875 Kensington
Have looked for Enrique using *off and *ph worldwide

1901 UK CENSUS
Arthur Henry Parnall born 1876 Newport, Monmouthshire
Have looked for Arthur Parnall or Parnell worldwide

1901 ENGLAND CENSUS
Annie Louisa Brookes born 1880 Holborn, servant in Precinct Of The Savoy civil parish living in residential chambers
Think her parents are Edwin and Jane but without a marriage certificate unable to know for sure

1901 UK MARRIAGE
Arthur Henry Parnall marries Annie Louisa Brooks, St George, Hanover Square, London

1904 UK PROBATE
1904 probate, London
Ludolfe Uhthoff dies in 1903, Davos Platz, Switzerland

1910 US CENSUS
Arthur, Annie and Claude are living in Manhattan with a Japanese servant

1911 DEATH CERTIFICATE
Arthur H Parnall died in Manhatten

1911 UK CENSUS
Enrique Antonio Uhthoff born 1875 London
Unable to find using *off and *ph worldwide

1912 PASSENGER LIST
Annie is a stewardess, sorry no Claude
Annie L Parnell stewardess having received all monies due signed off the articles in the presence of the British Consul and is being sent to England

Thanks for suggestions, hope that helps and appreciate your help.

Another forum has suggested was Priscilla letting her apartments at 133 Finborough Road to unmarried parents so their children could be baptised.  Our own relatives who lived with Priscilla, Horace Thrasher/Courtenay born 1893 and Violet Jezard born 1890 were baptised in 1896 at the same church that Claude was baptised in 1897 - Violet and Horace have false parents on their birth certificates and baptisms - Violet is not found in the 1891 census (and neither is her false father) but her mother Eliza, grandmother Priscilla, aunt Louisa and aunt Ruth are but now known as Triplow/Torplow - Priscilla herself has many name changes, renting the apartments now known as Mrs May Jezard in the Post Office Directories.  At the back of my mind there is a story I read online many years ago and then haven't been able to find again about a scandal involving baptisms and illegitimate births, wealthy parents and the clergy in the Kensington area but can't find again.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 11:44 BST (UK) »

I hope we are helping - the wrong spellings initially probably didn’t help in the searches.

You have mentioned large amounts of money being left after death. Arthur’s father also left a substantial amount of money so you would assume these people are very respectable.

I have followed your various posts with interest but hesitated to broach the subject of prostitution. I notice it has been mentioned elsewhere re the area.

It may well be though that Priscilla was involved with the scenario you recall re births/baptisms and illegitimacy.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 12:46 BST (UK) »
Did step-father Arthur Henry Parnall die in 1911 in Manhattan, New York?

When Claude Henry Parnall/Uhthoff marries in 1923 he says his father Arthur Henry Parnall is deceased.

I think in 1911 Arthur died in the US and Claude and Annie were there too (all three on the 1910 US census), Annie and Claude travel back to the UK in 1912.

This question was answered 2 days ago, Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:10 pm ...Last paragraph

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic17863.html

May be worth others checking other forums (there's a few) to save duplication of effort...

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nvw/

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lorraine Katherine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 12:52 BST (UK) »

I hope we are helping - the wrong spellings initially probably didn’t help in the searches.

You have mentioned large amounts of money being left after death. Arthur’s father also left a substantial amount of money so you would assume these people are very respectable.

I have followed your various posts with interest but hesitated to broach the subject of prostitution. I notice it has been mentioned elsewhere re the area.

It may well be though that Priscilla was involved with the scenario you recall re births/baptisms and illegitimacy.

Yes we have thought about prostitution, the family were also theatrical when actresses were considered being just a step above a prostitute,  but some actresses marry into the aristocracy, some have illegitimate children with an allowance, some ex-actresses run boarding houses for theatre companies to protect the reputation of younger actresses.

Priscilla's husband Robert Thrasher died in 1879 Strand, London.

Priscilla May Thrasher born 1840 (as Pope) Sudbury, Hartest, is found as a widow in 1881 with her daughters Eliza, Alice and Ruth working as a cook, daughter Louisa is in a boarding school nearby run by Christ Church Schools, Matron Catherine Poet, presumably a charity school as most of the girls are born in that area of London and mostly their mother are widows.

Priscilla has changed her name to Triplow/Torplow in 1891 census daughters Eliza, Louisa and Ruth are with her working as dressmakers, Alice is away working in a coffee shop - Eliza's illegitimate daughter Violet Jezard born 1890 Kensington is not listed on the census - the family have changed their name after her birth.

Daughter Alice has son Horace Thrasher in 1893 Fulham, the family change their name to Jezard after his birth - Alice and Horace later change their name to Courtenay.

By 1895 Priscilla is able to buy 133 Finborough Road at auction (London Evening Standard 1895 auction) and is known as Mrs May Jezard by 1899 in the Post Office Directories.  Would a cook/dressmaker be able to afford to buy a property, her husband Robert had not left an estate.  Could the fathers of Violet and Horace be giving an allowance to Eliza and Alice or to their mother Priscilla so they keep quiet about the chiildren: Horace was rumoured by the family to be an illustrious member of the aristocracy a person of considerable note.  There are prostitutes in Finborough Road according to the Charles Booth Survey in 1899. Could Priscilla have been a madam then?

Priscilla Jezard (Thrasher) dies in 1900, Strand, London, widow of John Jezard, dying at Charing Cross Hospital, Ellen Jezard is her daughter in law on the death certificate, John and Ellen can also not be traced.  133 Finborough Road in the 1901 census is empty, daughter Alice Thrasher born 1871 St Giles London is now known as Grace Courtenay living at 13 Finborough Road living on own means (sale of 133 Finborough Road, allowance from the father of her illegitimate son Horace Thrasher now known as Horace Courtenay and living in a girls boarding school in Southend with illegitimate cousin Violet).

According to the Charles Booth Survey the addresses the Thrasher family live in (from what you can look up on family history sites and the certificates we have ordered) are middle class to upper class respectable areas of London.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 13:26 BST (UK) »
Phew Lorraine.  :P I can't make head nor tail of this lot I'm afraid ....

An initial glance at so many people with so many name changes makes me wonder if you're not looking at several families and getting them all muddled up. The surnames are unusual ones too that you normally wouldn't dream up - Thrasher, Jezard, Courtenay, Parnall, Triplow ....