Author Topic: Change of name  (Read 551 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Change of name
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 June 19 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mabel but I knew his Birth Reg had Mothers mn as Maslen.

It had Mills/Hills on the Military Record but I couldnt find a possible re-marriage for her as Mary Wood/s to a Hills/Mills.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 June 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
There are many reasons why someone may change their name. You can call yourself you like, as long as it is not for illegal purposes.

I seem to remember that one could put a notice in a newspaper stating that from henceforth Joe Bloggs wished to be known as Freddie Fly.  I don't know whether this automatically cancelled all JB's debts, I rather doubt it.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 21:49 BST (UK) »
Incorrect assumption made.    

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 10:16 BST (UK) »
marriage
Lilian E Mitchell
Registration march 1/41923
Registration district     Pancras Middlesex
Spouse - Robert Burns Or Wood
As he appears to have declared both surnames at marriage it doesn't seem as if he was trying to hide from any criminal intent.
Birth reg surname is Wood - no 's'
His birthday on the 1939 register as Burns matches his birth reg

Don't understand what you mean by "birth reg surname"???   He was born pre-1969 so his birth entry would not show a surname, only those of his parents.  OK, presume what is meant is the name under which is he indexed.  (I had thought on first reading that his parents had different surnames).

Melbell

Offline wiltshire21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 June 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. Further research on this site shows that John Stanley's mother Mary Maslen married a Charles Mills in 1888. they had no children and by 1900 she had two children with Joseph Wood. Joseph Thomas in 1895 and John Stanley 1900. It does appear that Joseph and Mary never  actually married. Joseph Wood senior died in 1910 and then Mary seems to revert to her married name of Mills. Her and John Stanley appear in the Islington workhouse records and he is listed as John Mills. The older son Joseph keeps the Wood surname all his life and I have been able to trace records for him upto his death in 1951. Unfortunately I have not been able to find out why or when he started using the name Robert burns, but he called my grandad Robert John Stanley Burns when he was born in July 1923 and told him that it had been his father,s name and a family tradition ! Any help tracing John Stanley between 1915 upto his marriage in 1923 would be appreciated. Incidentally he is also told the family he worked as a chauffeur for the American Embassy in London during the 1930s. This may also have been a lie but I wonder if there is anyway of checking