Author Topic: Armstrong Quakers  (Read 452 times)

Offline Sozoli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armstrong Quakers
« on: Sunday 02 June 19 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to find info about my ancestor David Armstrong, who died in Brecon Wales in 1831.  Where he came from is unknown.  Possibly Cumberland, but I don't know for sure.  What I do think, though, is that he was a Quaker, so he may have even come back from the USA, as I understand many Quakers in Wales were oppressed and headed to the USA. 
Can anyone help me with info on how to find Welsh Quaker records?

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong Quakers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 June 19 07:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat   :)

To possibly help with the search the 1831 burial record at  St John the Evangelist, Brecon lists David as aged 77 and he was living at the Cantercelly Ward, Brecon

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 June 19 07:42 BST (UK) »
September 14, 1831 - Hereford Journal

0n Friday last died, suddenly at Brecon, Mr. David Armstrong, aged 77 years. He was deservedly respected.

Kay

Offline Sozoli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 June 19 07:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kay.  I know about his death, and I know where he worked, I just don’t know where he came from.  He married in Wales too, but again no info about where he came from. 

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 June 19 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kay.  I know about his death, and I know where he worked, I just don’t know where he came from.  He married in Wales too, but again no info about where he came from. 

Can you relate his marriage information?
What leads to you infer he was a Quaker?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 June 19 08:25 BST (UK) »
The Quakers keep extensive records.
The Library based at Friends House is a unique resource and is one of the largest collections in the world relating to Quakers http://www.quaker.org.uk/library
If you want to contact them see http://www.quaker.org.uk/contact-us

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sozoli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 June 19 11:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help, Kay and Stan, hugely appreciated.  David married Mary Ann Baker in 1794, in Lansanffraed.  So if the burial info is correct, he married when he was 40.  Which makes me suspicious - was this a second marriage, is his birth date correct? And where did he come from, since he doesn’t seem to have been born in Wales?  Their 3 kids, born between 1797 and 1798, were baptised together in either 1798 or 1799 (sorry, I don’t have the info with me right now). Why? They were baptised at St Mary’s Brecon, but I wonder if they were originally Quaker, as one of the kids was a Quaker.  Now I don’t know if any of that makes sense.  I do bits and pieces of research, and that can send me off on tangents. But the way I figure it, one of those tangents might just turn out to be the right path one day.  Somehow I have to find out where he came from.  There is the possibility he came from Kirklinton, Cumberland, where a David Armstrong was christened in 1756. But what made him go to Brecon? And why did he only marry when he was 40?