Author Topic: Taylor/Biddulph  (Read 1014 times)

Offline avotier

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Taylor/Biddulph
« on: Sunday 02 June 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
Asking if anyone has Salathiel Taylor and Hannah Biddulph of Nottingham in their family history.

Salathiels family had something to do with Fairs very early 1900s which is what I am trying to find info on.

I know they done Goose Fair and even travelled to Blackheath SE13.

He was an uncle.

Thanking you.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor/Biddulph
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 June 19 19:08 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at his occupations on the 1901/ 1911 and 1939?  Nothing to suggest a connection to Fairs
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 June 19 23:07 BST (UK) »
Just looking:

April 1910
 NO FIREGUARD. A NOTTINGHAM MOTHER FINED. case under the Children's Act came before magistrates the Nottingham Summons Court morning, when Salathiel Taylor, and his wife Hannah Taylor, 3, Woodvilte-piace, were charged with not having a fireguard sufficient protection against the fire, as a result of which, one of their children was burnt to death. Mr. H. B. Clayton prosecuted, and said that prevent-ion was better than cure, and asked the magistrates to increase the penalty. it was a great pity he said, that proceedings could not taken till death had resulted. Dr. Hendry stated that the child was admitted the General Hospital o-n March 12th suffering burns, from which died the following day. Lancelot Meats* the Coroner's officer, gave evidence to the absence ol fireguard. Taylor said that could not afford buy one, but the magistrates said that poverty was -excuse and fined the female defendant 205., whilst the defendant was discharged.

He is a miner
Dec. 1909
STRUCK WITH A BASIN. NOTTINGHAM POLICEMAN’S INJURIES, Salathiel Taylor, miner, of 3, Woodville-place, Bloomeprove-stroot, Radford, appeared on remand at the Nottingham Guildhall to-day, charged with assaulting P.s, Clarke, and with being drunk di.«ordcr!y on th© 12th inst. The charge of assault had been reduced from that of unlawful wounding. The officer repeated the evidence h© gave a week ago. stating tnat shortly after midnight the 12th, the prisoner, another man, and two women were concerned in disturbance in Woodvilleplace. Witness told them to behave themselves, and all but Taylor went quietly into their houses. The prisoner, however, appeared with a basin in his hands, and, using ban language, struck the officer with it. Hie right check was deeply cut in two places, and Dr. Herrick had to insert stitches. He Had been off duty ever since. Taylor pleaded that he was very drunk, but it was not his first offence, and the magistrates (Mr. E. W. Enfield and Mr. W. B. Starr) sentenced him to a month’s hard labour.

Offline avotier

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 June 19 05:56 BST (UK) »
Wow I knew nothing of this, and Salathiel was my grandfathers brother.

Thank you so much for this info.

Offline avotier

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 June 19 06:06 BST (UK) »
Could be another part of his family who had the dealings with the fairs.

I know they travelled with the fairs as we met them in SE13 1950s when they were at Blackheath and went into their caravan but what part of the family they came from I don't know but was to do with my grandfathers family.

Offline avotier

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
Is there someone who can check the 1911 census for Nottingham info on Salathiels family please .

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 16:08 BST (UK) »
1911 lookups are not allowed by Rootschat

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=355486.0

FamilySearch has the 1911 transcription for the family www.familysearch.org

I can confirm his occ was not one you would connect with fairs
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline avotier

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this info.