Author Topic: Marriage and/or death: Mary Ann Shepherd of Picton, NSW  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
Marriage and/or death: Mary Ann Shepherd of Picton, NSW
« on: Sunday 02 June 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've run into a brick wall with Mary Ann Shepherd, daughter of Meshach and Jane Shepherd (Jane Gutthrie) - my 1st cousin 4x removed.  She was born on 1 October 1849 and baptised on 9 Dec 1849 in Picton NSW.  Her mother died when she was young and her father then married Mary Bails late Smith before himself dying on 29 Jun 1862 on Rumher's Island near Picton (information mainly from his death registration transcript which recorded his daughter Mary as being aged 12).

I'd love to know what happened to Mary Ann but can't find anything after her father's death.  Can any more knowledgeable Australian researchers help?

Many thanks, Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage and/or death: Mary Ann Shepherd of Picton, NSW
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 June 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry - just realised I asked the same thing before!
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 June 19 10:34 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to the previous request which doesn't have any further information about Mary Ann although her parents' marriage is noted.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=768553.msg6208719#msg6208719

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:43 BST (UK) »
Its possible of course that Jane Shepherd remarried after 1862 and that Mary Ann took the name of her stepfather. Without an income, widows found it nigh impossible to support children.
Have seen variations to his name e.g. Michael Sheppard on NSW BDM so not an easy one to solve.
shume from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia