Author Topic: A Bit of a Longshot, - but does anyone recognize anyone here please?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Hi All,

For more years than I care to remember ( ;) I've had a Genealogical Brickwall for my Grandfather William James Wilson, (Born Manchester 1860, Died Hendon 1937).

Among the (small) collection of old photos given to me by his son, - my late Uncle William Havelock Wilson, (Born Swansea 1894, Died London 1974) is this Postcard Photo. It's taken in, (I think) Swansea, in about 1920(?) and has written on the back, 'American Cousins visit Swansea'.

For many years I thought that these were cousins on my Father's maternal side, (Rees).

However, recent DNA testing has shown that myself and my sister have quite a few matches in the USA which must come from our paternal, (Wilson) side. One in particular has a Tree up on Ancestry which shows the Sternburg and Saperstein family.

Because I am stuck with my Grandfather William James Wilson, I don't know how these 'American Cousins' might fit in...

The photo has my late Uncle William Havelock Wilson in the front row, at the end on the right. Behind him is his brother, Richard Wilson. I don't know who any of the other people are...:-(

Any help welcomed!

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Bit of a Longshot, - but does anyone recognize anyone here please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 June 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
Did you intend to send the photograph?
Viktoria.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 June 19 21:24 BST (UK) »

Yes, - but there doesn't seem to be any way of attaching it!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 June 19 21:27 BST (UK) »
It's because you're on the request board, Romilly. If you move to the main US board, you should be able to post it.

Maybe ask a Mod to move the thread and then attach.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 June 19 21:35 BST (UK) »

Thanks Gadget.

I didn't realize!

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 June 19 22:28 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking in the newspapers for a note in the society section about the Wilsons having visitors from overseas?  I have found quite a few such reports when ancestors received visitors from out of state and in one case, when the visitors had come over from England for a family reunion, there was quite a lengthy article about the event.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 June 19 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Erato, for the suggestion.

The Welsh Newspapers online Site stops at 1919, and so I hadn't persued that angle.

Romilly.
Researching: