Author Topic: Marquis Municipality, Bow River, Alberta  (Read 122 times)

Offline Paul5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marquis Municipality, Bow River, Alberta
« on: Monday 03 June 19 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hello

At the time of 1916 and 1921 censuses in Canada, some family of mine was to be found in Marquis Municipality, Bow River, Province of Alberta.

I'm having trouble locating where this was exactly, looking at a modern map.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks

P
Smallcombe
Pead
Layton
Waltham
Carpenter (Somerset)
Revell (Plymouth, East London)
Lake (East Anglia)
Bradbeer
Verteneuil (France, Belgium)
Haneman

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marquis Municipality, Bow River, Alberta
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 June 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
Wikpedia shows Marquis dissolved and became part of Blackie 30, Vulcan 29 and Bow West Area.  Black 30 and Vulcan 29 became part of Vulcan County.  I would think if you looked at the location of Vulcan County and compared the coordinates from the census you might find a match.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Paul5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marquis Municipality, Bow River, Alberta
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I did see that reference on Wikipedia too, but it didn't mean much to me.

I see on Google Maps that the Bow River runs on part of the boundary of modern Vulcan County on its far eastern side, so I presume it would have been somewhere in that vicinity.

Looking at the census description in more detail, my relatives were in the area/sub-district described as: 'Townships 17, 18 and 19, whole or fractional, ranges 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22, and township 16, whole or fractional, ranges 16, 17, 18, west of fourth meridian, east of Reservoir no. 1 and west of the Bow River, including the village of Bow City'.

P
Smallcombe
Pead
Layton
Waltham
Carpenter (Somerset)
Revell (Plymouth, East London)
Lake (East Anglia)
Bradbeer
Verteneuil (France, Belgium)
Haneman