Author Topic: Fate of John BROOKS of Felmersham, Bedfordshire, transported after 24-4-1824?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of John BROOKS of Felmersham, Bedfordshire, transported after 24-4-1824?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
The 1821 "brown eyes" reference is of course a transcription - and what do we always say about transcriptions?

The 1831 certificate of freedom states "blue".
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of John BROOKS of Felmersham, Bedfordshire, transported after 24-4-1824?
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
Shaun,
I wonder whether the term "blue-eyed boy" was in use  exactly 200 years ago (well, almost) in the 1820's.  I imagine that the "black sheep of the family" was widespread as an expression of scorn and shame.
What I've noticed is that the 1820's was a particularly bad time for people  being severely punished for quite minor crimes of theft to supplement their meagre lives.  The opening up of these far flung colonies was the perfect excuse for the judiciary to empty the overcrowded jails here and send these poor souls away to the other side of the earth and dump them there.  So many cases of young wives left behind to cope with many small children on their own, too.
Desperate times indeed...
Keith