Author Topic: Fate of John BROOKS of Felmersham, Bedfordshire, transported after 24-4-1824?  (Read 3367 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of John BROOKS of Felmersham, Bedfordshire, transported after 24-4-1824?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 June 19 22:18 BST (UK) »
Trove has Australian newspapers online, well worth a look. It is free and dates back to the early 1800's.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of John BROOKS of Felmersham, Bedfordshire, transported after 24-4-1824?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 June 19 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hard to be quite certain but...

Marriage

29/1833 V183329 126
CONNOLLY, Ellen
CLARK Charles
LD

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 01:00 BST (UK) »
John BROOKES ... with 'e' per that voyage was husband of another lass ... I will get my old note book out shortly. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 01:07 BST (UK) »
Yes  ... Ann(e) MURPHY per the Minerv a as per a listing in an online database, as wife of John BROOKES.. I have not  got to my notebook.

But BDA index free to search,  subscription $30 p.a.

JM  ON E READER Please excuse typos
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 09:46 BST (UK) »
Again a bit of guesswork.

Old Bailey proceedings. Seven  years transportation Lucy PAYNE
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/forms/formMain.jsp
Enter the name.

Certificate of Freedom for Lucy PAYNE per Mary Anne 3. 1828
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2190792

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 03:27 BST (UK) »
Certificate of Freedom for Ann MURPHY, 20 March 1846.
#46/406
Prisoner # 39/718, Ann MURPHY,  (born abt 1799, County Meath)  per the Minerva 6 arriving 1839, includes the note that she is the

'Wife of John BROOKES per Royal Charlotte free by servitude'. 

Ann was of the last females transported to NSW.   

JM

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 09:40 BST (UK) »
Majm,
I was getting quite confused with all the helpful contributions I was getting on here, but thanks so much for clearing things up for me.  I read somewhere that a partner in crime to John BROOKS back in Felmersham in 1823, a 29 year old Robert COSTIN, who was committed to jail with John B but then discharged after further examination, was 2 years later sentenced to hang for sheep stealing, commuted to 7 years transportation too.  A  17 year old George COSTIN, presumably a relative or even younger brother was also sentenced to transportation to life for a series of similar crimes in 1825.  But 28 years later he apparently returned to Felmersham a well-off man. 
The differing fortunes of a tiny place such as Felmersham in the desperate agricultural times of the 1820's in rural England...
Keith

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
For a detailed account of the evidence against John Brooks see this correspondence on FindMyPast: 

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=tna%2fccc%2fho47%2f65%2f303
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Not everyone who reads these threads has current subs to FindMyPast or Ancestry,  any chance of an alternative, please?

I will see if I have any mentions of COSTIN  ;D

:D

JM