Author Topic: Karl Frederik HALLGREN - Sweden  (Read 5525 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Karl Frederik HALLGREN - Sweden
« on: Monday 03 June 19 22:36 BST (UK) »
HI Everyone I have been doing research on the above for quite a few years now and I am just trying to get his timeline together as all the documents I have been sent are in Swedish it's been slightly difficult so I thought I would ask someone with more experience perhaps to try and unravel the movements of Karl HALLGREN. 

1869-11-19  KARL FREDRIK born (Söderhamn), County of Gävleborg  Illegitimate son of BRITA CATHRINA HALLGREN born 1846-08-20, came from Hudiksvall 1867, died 1869-11-27 8 day’s after giving birth.

From here (on familysearch) I have Karl on the 1871-1880 Census with Foster parents Fredrika Charlotta Melin and Olof NILSSON. 

Again from 1876-1880 with above foster parents.  Karl then goes to Klara from Dalaro in 1881.

My question (and confusion is!) in 1873 from the JARVSO moving out certificate it has The young boy Karl Fredrik, son of the joinery worker Bror
August Hallgren, is born in Söderhamn on the 19 Nov 1869,
is vaccinated and moves now after the tax listings
to Stockholm.

The vaccination was for smallpox.

Both the pastor and Bror  might have felt it looked much better to have Bror for a father rather than having "both parents unknown".
Therefore exactly what year is Karl Frederik HALLGREN given up to the Foster parents Frederika and Olof NILSSON??  Just want to make sure my timeline is correct.  Thanks so much for any help.  Kindest regards Dianna from Aus

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KARL FREDERIK HALLGREN SWEDEN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 07:32 BST (UK) »

Both the pastor and Bror  might have felt it looked much better to have Bror for a father rather than having "both parents unknown".

Hi
I took a wee look at some of the records which you may already have:

1869:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nvr/
1875:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nvq/

I noticed that she was the stepdaughter in the family "styvdottern". She is actually living with her mother.
1846: Brita's birth record:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nvs/

1846: Sigrin Olofsdotter without daughter:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nvt/

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 07:40 BST (UK) »

Therefore exactly what year is Karl Frederik HALLGREN given up to the Foster parents Frederika and Olof NILSSON??  Just want to make sure my timeline is correct.

His mother died in 1869 and he was sent away in 1873. I suppose he couldn't be looked after anymore and was sent away in 1873. It may have taken 4 years to find a foster home. I think then 1873 is the foster year.

Ian

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
HI thanks very much for your replies I can't really make out the documents unfortunately, even if I could read Swedish they are a bit hard to make out aren't they???

I noticed that she was the stepdaughter in the family "styvdottern". She is actually living with her mother.
1846: Brita's birth record:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nvs/

Could you explain this perhaps??  Do you read Swedish at all??  Is BRITA HALLGREN the stepdaughter of BROR AUGUST HALLGREN???? I'm confused really.  LOL

1846: Sigrin Olofsdotter without daughter:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nvt/

What does this mean????  I find the census' a bit confusing really.  It say's from family search that Karl Frederick is the stepson of the NILSSON'S from 1871-1880 but then the Grandfather of Karl Frederick BROR AUGUST HALLGREN has had him immunised/vacinated in 1873.  SO CONFUSED.  Thanks anyway.  Regards Dianna

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 08:20 BST (UK) »

Could you explain this perhaps??  Do you read Swedish at all??  Is BRITA HALLGREN the stepdaughter of BROR AUGUST HALLGREN???? I'm confused really.  LOL

Cheers.
Yes I can read Swedish and these records.
Yes she was his stepdaughter.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 08:24 BST (UK) »

What does this mean????  I find the census' a bit confusing really.  It say's from family search that Karl Frederick is the stepson of the NILSSON'S from 1871-1880 but then the Grandfather of Karl Frederick BROR AUGUST HALLGREN has had him immunised/vacinated in 1873.  SO CONFUSED.  Thanks anyway.  Regards Dianna

Is this the record you are referring to?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSG4-79BF-N?i=133

Ian

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 06:17 BST (UK) »
HI Ian wow I had some dramas replying to you!!  Never mind!  Thanks so much for the information.  How did you find Brita Cattarina etc. birth record if not under HALLGREN.  Now that has put a different spin on the research as the name is not really HALLGREN now is it, if she is BROR AUGUST HALLGRENS stepdaughter. 

Yes the 1876-1880 census link you sent is correct BUT Karl also appears on the 1871-1880 Residence Stockholm, Sverige (Swedish Household Examination Books that is where my confusion was/is as there is no actual tick or sign underneath all of the years from 1871 to 1880 so I wasn't sure if he was there with the NILSSON'S for that WHOLE period but you think he is with them from 1873, makes more sense doesn't it.  Then he is with the other family from 1880 onwards.  Still trying to find him leaving Sweden (Stockholm) c 1887, seems to be a Seaman or Sailor of some description. 
 1885-1886 he is in the book of
missing persons in Klara parish.

1885 Carl Fredik listed as not present in Klara Parish at the same time a remark saying moved to Tegnergatan 4, on 20 Febr. 1886

1886 Tax roll with foster mother Josephina Charlotta Lindberger

1887 he is alone and is titled “Sjomannen”, the sailor. 
1888 (approximately) arrives in Australia.

1900 CENSUS He does not seem to appear on this in Sweden!!!

Anyway even though his marriage certificate here does NOT have the correct parents for him, it has been suggested to me that he may have been trying to cover up his "illegitimate" status.  Thanks so much for your help.  Kindest regards Dianna the below is the 1871-1880 (from family search)

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSG4-733N-4?i=215&cc=2790465

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Dianna,
Ian will be able to sort it out for you; he is great at finding "missing" ancestors in the Swedish records.
Have you found Karl Frederik in the Australian National Archives? He could have been naturalized. If so, there should be a record for him. The information on those records will help pinpoint where from and when he came to Australia.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi yes I am trying to collate data on him now from the Australian resources.  I have done some but will need to relook at some things.  I have his marriage cert and death/birth of two children etc.

He seems to using the name CHARLES FREDERICK HALLGREN when he arrived in Australia (Victoria)  Haven't come across an immigation record as yet.  He could have just jumped ship when he arrived here of course.  Thanks for your input it is very much appreciated.  Hard when you don't read/write Swedish isn't.  Still fun to do though.  Regards Dianna