Author Topic: Looking for the Critcher family in Berkshire  (Read 985 times)

Offline Ella Rodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for the Critcher family in Berkshire
« on: Tuesday 04 June 19 04:05 BST (UK) »
I have the start of the Critcher's in my tree with Mary Critcher marrying John Bint. Managed to find Mary's parents, John and Jane (nee Blackman) Critcher and then further on to the parents of John, Hugh and Mary (nee Bridgewater). I have seen multiple spellings of  Critcher, such as Chrucher, Crutcher, so the trail seems to have gone cold and I am not sure where to look. Was wondering if anyone had any information?
Cheers Ella

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Critcher family in Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ella,
There is a Hugh Cructcher baptised at Swallowfield (All Saints), son of Marke Crutcher, 1 Jan 1670/1 . This from an index not the image.

HTH
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 09:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Ella :)

You are looking for more details of the parents and grandparents of John Critcher born (where?) in 1703.  Do you have his baptism?  What is the source of the dates you have for Hugh?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ella Rodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, I am relatively new to all the genealogy stuff. So I am still trying to figure some things out.

Sorry for the lack of information AVM228. For John Critcher I have found no cited sources, Ancestry trees were all I really had to go off, they stated he was born in 1703, in Swallowfield Berkshire. I have found a Christening for a John Critcher, it states he was christened in 1713 supposedly 10 years old. It is common nowadays for kids to get christened a bit older but, how common was it back then? For Hugh Critcher (Crutcher) I have recently found his baptism, January 1670, and it states his father is Marke Crutcher. I have seen one report of a Susan as Marke's wife but have nothing really to go off.

Thanks again, Ella

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hello again Ella

If you can’t find sources other than Ancestry trees then honestly you would do best to slow down and consolidate your research, generation by generation, in order to have confidence that these names have anything to do with your ancestry.

Ancestry trees are rife with errors and fictions and, although it is no doubt tempting to use them to generate an easy tree going back to time immemorial, the uncritical copying of others’ trees is exactly how these errors and fictions are perpetuated.

If like most of us you actually want to trace the people you are descended from, find the most recent generation whose documentation you are independently satisfied with and trace back carefully from there.  1703 is pretty early in terms of availability of records - given that you say you’re quite new to genealogy, have you really done a full forensic job on all the generations of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries?

You’re in the right place!  Rootschatters are always keen to help along the journey :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 12:16 BST (UK) »
Since Mary Critcher and John Bint married and lived the rest of their lives in Shinfield I would suggest, as some of the Ancestry trees do, that Mary was the Mary Crocher bp.Sept.1731 Shinfield, dau. of Hughe and Mary Payce (married 15/1/1727 Shinfield).

Hugh Kritcher bp.4/11.1701 Arborfield, son of Hugh and Mary (nee Bridgewater).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk