Author Topic: SHAW, Whitesmiths and Ironmongers of Bridge Street - Worksop.  (Read 528 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
SHAW, Whitesmiths and Ironmongers of Bridge Street - Worksop.
« on: Tuesday 04 June 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

My gr gr gr grandfather was George SHAW c1798-1848 a Whitesmith of Worksop.  It appears he wasnít baptised until 1817, I donít know why.  Given this, he was the son of William SHAW and Mary UNWIN.

George had a brother John, a dealer in game and another brother Reuben, also a Whitesmith of Bridge St.  Seems Reuben was very successful but because George died young his family suffered.  Possibly some other siblings too.

Previous post re the family...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=735462.9

Can anyone help me with info on any of the businesses in Bridge Street Worksop.  Probably Shaw and Sons or the like.  Iím not sure if the father William SHAW c1762-1827 was also in the trade.

We are so lucky to have a spoon made by one of my forefathers and brought to Australia in 1852.  Probably made by George SHAW but we donít know.  The story is there were a number of them hand made and given to each of the children.  We donít know if any except ours still exist.

Regards

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW, Whitesmiths and Ironmongers of Bridge Street - Worksop.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 17:45 BST (UK) »
There's this little bit on one of the brothers,Reuben..

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nvy/
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Has anyone seen Henry Atcherson Carson,born Canada 1844?