Author Topic: SHAW, Whitesmiths and Ironmongers of Bridge Street - Worksop.  (Read 1474 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
SHAW, Whitesmiths and Ironmongers of Bridge Street - Worksop.
« on: Tuesday 04 June 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

My gr gr gr grandfather was George SHAW c1798-1848 a Whitesmith of Worksop.  It appears he wasn’t baptised until 1817, I don’t know why.  Given this, he was the son of William SHAW and Mary UNWIN.

George had a brother John, a dealer in game and another brother Reuben, also a Whitesmith of Bridge St.  Seems Reuben was very successful but because George died young his family suffered.  Possibly some other siblings too.

Previous post re the family...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=735462.9

Can anyone help me with info on any of the businesses in Bridge Street Worksop.  Probably Shaw and Sons or the like.  I’m not sure if the father William SHAW c1762-1827 was also in the trade.

We are so lucky to have a spoon made by one of my forefathers and brought to Australia in 1852.  Probably made by George SHAW but we don’t know.  The story is there were a number of them hand made and given to each of the children.  We don’t know if any except ours still exist.

Regards

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW, Whitesmiths and Ironmongers of Bridge Street - Worksop.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 17:45 BST (UK) »
There's this little bit on one of the brothers,Reuben..

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nvy/
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 22 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Hepburn for that information.  Sorry for not saying so earlier.

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Not to do with the business, but possibly related to where they went to school, have you seen this advertisement in 1817 for the "Classical and Commercial Academy Eden-House, Kirkby Stephen" . Offers Samuel and Reuben SHAW of Worksop as references.
Monday,  Jan. 27, 1817
Publication: Leeds Intelligencer

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 01:42 GMT (UK) »
I have not seen that Maddy.  They are a fair way from home for school!  Reuben and Samuel born c1800 are brothers along with at least two others.

I'm not sure where the money came from, I suspect their father William was also a Metalsmith.

Many thanks,

bitzar.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 07:47 GMT (UK) »
It is a very long way isn't it. Not sure how pleasant the school would have been: "Vacations tend greatly to impede the Progress of Education" - doesn't sound like much fun!  ;)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I have not seen that Maddy.  They are a fair way from home for school!  Reuben and Samuel born c1800 are brothers along with at least two others.

I'm not sure where the money came from, I suspect their father William was also a Metalsmith.

Many thanks,

bitzar.

St Mary (Priory) Worksop William and Mary Shaw baptised 9 children.
Reuben baptism 15 Oct 1799 has his birth date as 25 May 1799
Samuel baptism 1 Dec 1801 has his birth date as 30 Sep 1801
Ann bapt 13 Feb 1805 birth 13 Dec 1804
William Bapt 3 Aug 1807 birth 20 Jun 1807
James bapt 12 Jan 1811 birth 13 Oct 1808
The other baptisms do not note the birthdate
Elizabeth 6 Aug 1794
John 23 Nov 1795
Mary 31 Dec 1796
George 16 Oct 1817 his baptism has the notes abode Bridge St and father an Ironmonger.

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Burials same church
28 Mar 1848 George Shaw aged 50 abode Bridge Street
There are a few young children also buried, with their abode as Bridge St. Cornelius aged 1 (1835), Samuel aged 16 (1838), Julia 3 (1841) George 2 (1841)
There are 6 baptisms for children of George and Hannah ( Ann) Shaw abode Bridge St father a whitesmith.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 06:08 GMT (UK) »
OK yes this is my family and larkspur you've helped me before, always much appreciated.

This is the link to that thread:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=735462.0

There is ONE problem....

I am descended from George SHAW and Hannah PALMER who were wed on 30 Apr 1821 at Clarborough, where Hannah is from.  George died at Worksop in 1848 aged 50 (age re: GRO) making him born c1798 and slotting in between brother's John and Reuben as per Larkspur's list of issue.  The 1841 has him with his wife and family either in the same household or next door to John SHAW, dealer in game, his brother with Reuben down the street and also his mother Mary down the street, all in Bridge Street, Worksop.  BUT there is no baptism!  Also on the 1841 George states he was born OUT of county.

Then there is the 1817 baptism for George, son of William SHAW and Mary.  It must be a an adult baptism because George was born out of county and never baptised BUT on the 1841 it appears the 1817 George is with his mother Mary in Bridge St!  I can't place the 1817 George after 1841.

So who is MY George.  He was a metalsmith, so was Reuben and the father William.  He was dead by the 1851 so I can't get a birthplace.  Was the 1817 George the illegitimate son of the daughter Elizabeth 1894 and baptised by the grandparents?!?!

Thoughts?!?!?!

bitzar.