Author Topic: Help wanted to find Annie Hughes, born around 1852, in Wales!  (Read 5067 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted to find Annie Hughes, born around 1852, in Wales!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 19:56 BST (UK) »
Probably the proverbial red herring barking up the wrong tree,but I can find a family with a Robert Hughes as head which has some reasonable fit with the profile you seek.

1851  HO107/2342/38/17
1861  RG09/4299/39/7
1871  RG10/5671/57/11
1881  RG11/5531/28/3

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 19:59 BST (UK) »
I found another possible family, Richard and Ann, with a daughter Ann (Annie on one record) Elizabeth, and other children. Links to Earlestown and Newton le Willows which looked very promising, BUT on every record Richard is a boiler maker. Several trees on Ancestry have the family but none have Ann(ie) with a spouse or death. She is not with her parents in 1871 when they are in Rainhill, a few miles from Earlestown, but I haven’t yet found her.... 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
Probably the proverbial red herring barking up the wrong tree,but I can find a family with a Robert Hughes as head which has some reasonable fit with the profile you seek.

1851  HO107/2342/38/17
1861  RG09/4299/39/7
1871  RG10/5671/57/11
1881  RG11/5531/28/3

Regards
Roger

Thanks Roger, I’ll check those out. 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 21:16 BST (UK) »
There's a Richard Hughes Joiner born Broughton at Wrexham with an Ann wife and daughter Jane in 1851  Wrexham   HO107 Piece number   2503 Folio   756 Page   15 bbut haven't yet found this family in 1861.

Also there's an 1861 Census for a Richard Hughes cabinet maker, wife Sarah, daughters Jane b. 1849 & Ann b. 1851 all born in "Wales" at Chorlton in Medlock RG09 Piece 2879 Folio 16 Page 25

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
Sam that looks very promising thanks. My boilerman family was great for location but boilerman and joiner are rather different. They weren’t born in Wales either but in Cheshire. Will have a look for that family now. Thanks again 😀 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 21:45 BST (UK) »
How did you get her mother's name, Deirdre? 

I've found an interesting family in 1851 in West Derby with father Richard,  carpenter, I've quickly looked through the thread and can't see it mentioned:

Have  you checked out this one in 1851

West Derby, though born Wales. Mother is Mary* though.

HO107/2188/112/20

Gadget

*added -  looks more like May on the original
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget, her mother was named on her death certificate in Patagonia. Registered by her son who presumably never knew his grandmother, so could be wrong, though her father’s name agrees with the name on her marriage.   

Hadn’t seen the West Derby one, still trying to follow through Sam’s family in Broughton in 1851. Will look at the West Derby one next thanks. 

Added: Humphrey and Annie had 2 daughters Maria Elena and Sarah (both born in Patagonia). 

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 June 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
Not much use ,but a couple of thoughts:

There seems to be use of family naming patterns e.g sons David,Humphrey,Richard(?).So where might daughters Maria Elena(Mary Helen?) and Sarah fit in?

Perhaps her mother Ann died and Richard remarried,so we don't find him with an Ann.

Regards
Roger

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 June 19 23:11 BST (UK) »

Perhaps her mother Ann died and Richard remarried,so we don't find him with an Ann.

In my experience, Roger, it's most likely that the informant could have given  the wrong name. As Deirdre says, son David was the informant and probably wouldn't have known his grandmother. I've seen this happen quite often on Scottish death certs.

Alternatively, he might have been asked for 'mother's name' and answered quite correctly 'Ann' (his mother). 

On a more personal level, as an example, when my mother in law died, I accompanied my husband and brother in law to register the death. I was the only one who knew their mother's full details as I'd researched the family.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***