Author Topic: Help wanted to find Annie Hughes, born around 1852, in Wales!  (Read 5068 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted to find Annie Hughes, born around 1852, in Wales!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 June 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
More speculation:
In 1871,Humphrey is in Llanddeiniolen.Perhaps he met Annie in this area.In the 1871 census the nearest Annie I can find is a niece to a Thomas Hughes in Llanbeblig(RG10/5720/20/32).She is also listed with him in 1861,where she is given as born in Llanbeblig.Freereg has a record for an Ann baptised in 1853 in Llanbeblig,with only a mother,also Ann,recorded.

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 June 19 23:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks both, i have spent several hours yesterday and today trying to follow through the families suggested (not really worrying about wife / mother being Ann for now). Sadly, the best match is the one with Richard as a boilerman, which seems too far away from a joiner to me. Only knowing her birth as somewhere between 1848 and 1852 (discounting age at death) and in ‘Wales’ is making it very difficult. I am going to make detailed notes of the suggested families by census, family and area over the weekend and see where that gets me. Thanks again for the interest.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 06 June 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
More speculation:
In 1871,Humphrey is in Llanddeiniolen.Perhaps he met Annie in this area.In the 1871 census the nearest Annie I can find is a niece to a Thomas Hughes in Llanbeblig(RG10/5720/20/32).She is also listed with him in 1861,where she is given as born in Llanbeblig.Freereg has a record for an Ann baptised in 1853 in Llanbeblig,with only a mother,also Ann,recorded.

Regards
Roger

Roger, that sounds promising, i’d been concentrating on Richard. But yes, Humphrey and the rest of his family were in Llanddeiniolen for some years, though he was born in Llanfair PG. I am about to go to bed but will look at this again in the morning, thanks a lot.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 June 19 00:40 BST (UK) »
No doubt a coincidence,but in 1854 there is a civil marriage in Caernarvon district between an Ann Hughes and a Richard Roberts(later witness at Annie's wedding?).

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 June 19 07:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger, will see if i can find them in 1861, interesting to see if Richard is a joiner...... 

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 June 19 09:47 BST (UK) »
In the 1861 census where an Ann Hughes is niece to Thomas Hughes(Calvinist Minister),there is also a nephew transcribed as John J D Davies,born Rhoscolyn 1846.This looks most likely to be a John Thomas Davies Hughes,son of the Rector of Rhoscolyn,Howel Hughes.If John and Ann are brother and sister,which seems reasonable,this is not the Ann(ie) required,but more importantly,not the Ann of the 1853 Llanbeblig baptism,who may still be of interest.

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 07 June 19 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger, i had a very quick look for John before going to work this morning but this is really helpful thanks.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 07 June 19 18:11 BST (UK) »
Just maybe....
In the 1861 census there is an Ann Hughes,granddaughter to David and Elen(sic) Roberts in Llanddeiniolen(RG09/4340/41/5)
Further,Freereg has the baptism of a Richard Roberts,son of David and Ellen,Llanbeblig,1827

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 07 June 19 19:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this Roger, you are really kind. Not sure i’ll ever be able to tie them together 🤔