Author Topic: Multiple wedding group, 1861 perhaps f Henry Sampson, Photgrapher, Southport.  (Read 3609 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple wedding group, 1861 perhaps f Henry Sampson, Photgrapher, Southport.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 June 19 09:33 BST (UK) »
Interesting comments, thank you all.  Most other photos in the album are portraits but there are a few scenes: seaside, Runcorn railway bridge, among them.
A

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple wedding group, 1861 perhaps f Henry Sampson, Photgrapher, Southport.
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 June 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to remove the photo without damaging it and scan the back, please.

Gadget

PS - also, it would be helpful to see the full image, including the edges, please.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 June 19 10:25 BST (UK) »
My initial impression was that t could be early 1870s but I agree with Gadget, we need to see the back. Are the corners of the image rounded or straight cut Ainslie?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 June 19 10:30 BST (UK) »
Looks alright for 1861, superb photograph.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 June 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
 There is an article here about early Victorian weddings. There is a picture showing a bride and bridesmaids all wearing veils. It wont let me copy it I'm afraid. It does say it was the fashion for brides and bridesmaids to wear white and to all wear veils. http://www.angelpig.net/victorian/weddingattire.html
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 June 19 10:47 BST (UK) »
Card safely extracted and scanned, both sides.  Straight cut - no signs of trimming.

I have cropped outside the margins of the card in each case.  I have pencilled my own code on the reverse- this was not on the original.
A

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 June 19 10:48 BST (UK) »
That's a great link Pat....If  was 1861 I would have expected to see more beards, having said that...viewed in Photoshop, the women appear to be showing their ears which began to be fashionable from the early 1860s.
Great image.

Added...Just seen your image....the straight cut corners were phased out in the early 1870s to make way for the rounded corners to enable them to fit better into Cdv albums. So late 1860s and possibly into the early 1870s looks to be about right. The back looks too fancy to be early 1860s in my view.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 June 19 11:33 BST (UK) »
I think the re-scanned group photo did not appear with my last post, but after a few tribulations in reducing it to fit, here it should be.
A

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 June 19 14:10 BST (UK) »
Just returned. I'd say 1865-early 1870s too. As Carol says, ears started to show with the younger women circa mid-1860s but the back looks nearer early 1870s.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***