Author Topic: Opinions Sought Please ~ Ladies Group  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions Sought Please ~ Ladies Group
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:34 BST (UK) »
Eliza Frances Stone nee Samuell (the recipient) was born in Blackheath, Kent on 26 Feb 1878 but by 1901 was in Fownhope with an aunt - Harriet Samuel, licensed victualler at the Green Man public house.

I suggest this is may be a photograph of her schooldays there, sent in reminiscence by schoolfriends Gwladys and Beatrice/Beatrix years later.

So Mrs. Samuel as mentioned in the message was Eliza's Aunt so a good clue.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:34 BST (UK) »
I was thinking they were (mostly) pupils rather than teachers - the teachers being the ones in the academic gowns.

In other words the secondary-age young ladies of Fownhope c1900 - including somewhere in there Eliza, Gwladys and Beatrice ("can you see us?" as the postcard says).

I have to admit that the 10+ year gap in age between Eliza and Beatrice makes this rather tricky, as they wouldn't have overlapped much at school age - and the range in ages covered by the photo is hard to discern but seems more senior than junior, in educational terms.

So perhaps it is a college of some sort after all.  Presumably the photo is dated before 1907, when Eliza married.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:39 BST (UK) »
Eliza may be a teacher and Gwladys and Beatrice are students? (or am I confused about who is what age?)  :)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hereford photographer, Hereford postmark. I am wondering if it might be Hereford Ladies College.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7067214
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:41 BST (UK) »
I was thinking they were (mostly) pupils rather than teachers - the teachers being the ones in the academic gowns.

In other words the secondary-age young ladies of Fownhope c1900 - including somewhere in there Eliza, Gwladys and Beatrice ("can you see us?" as the postcard says).

I have to admit that the 9-year gap in age between Eliza and Beatrice makes this rather tricky, as they wouldn't have overlapped much at school age - and the range in ages covered by the photo is hard to discern but seems more senior than junior.

So perhaps it is a college of some sort after all.  Presumably the photo is dated before 1907, when Eliza married.

Having looked more closely at the photo some of the hairstyles appear to be Edwardian...so much earlier than the postmark.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
This looks like the building - now part of the Royal National College for the Blind, formerly a teacher's training college.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Royal_National_College_-_Hereford.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_National_College_for_the_Blind

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:46 BST (UK) »
As an alternative might they have attended Hereford College of Education, founded in 1902, an all female teacher training college for most of its existence?

Thanks for that Jen...That's a really strong possibility  8) they do look a more like students than pupils.

Carol

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
I'm sure Jen has it - it is Hereford College of Education, the building now occupied by the Royal National College for the Blind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereford_College_of_Education

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
I'm sure Jen has it - it is Hereford College of Education, the building now occupied by the Royal National College for the Blind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereford_College_of_Education

Yes - brilliant :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)