Author Topic: Galland (& other spellings), Lincolnshire and elsewhere  (Read 83 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jane Bellot, sister to my 5gt-grannie!
    • View Profile
Galland (& other spellings), Lincolnshire and elsewhere
« on: Wednesday 05 June 19 18:58 BST (UK) »
I'm doing a friend's tree for her and I'm going cross eyed trying to find the relevant people!

Richard GALLAND married Sarah Smith in Leicestershire in 1871. Subsequent censuses have his pob as Lotton, Lincolnshire; = Long Sutton.

I've found his baptism in 1824 (Richard Galling) in Long Sutton, parents' names Richard and Susanna.

I cannot find Richard anywhere between 1824 and 1871. Neither can I find his siblings Joseph Robert (1827), Edwin William (1829), and Frederick and Sarah (1834) at any point after their baptisms, though I think I can see their (widowed) mother living in a different household with none of the children in Long Sutton in 1841.

Can anyone see anything of Richard (or his siblings) as a younger adult? I have all the censuses and family details from 1871 on.

A big problem is the spelling of the surname - so far I've found the following variations in Richard or his older relatives: Galland; Gallant; Gatland; Gallin; Gallon; Gallang; Girling; Galand; and Galling  ::).

Any help would be most gratefully received!

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Leic)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Cheshire/Leicester)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Galland (& other spellings), Lincolnshire and elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looking at the baptisms for Sarah and Frederick Thomas it would appear that their mother(Susan) was a widow, therefore have you looked for a marriage of a Susan Galland as her children could be listed on a census under her new married name.

JJ

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jane Bellot, sister to my 5gt-grannie!
    • View Profile
Re: Galland (& other spellings), Lincolnshire and elsewhere
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 19:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can't see a marriage or a death for Susan/Susanna. In fact almost the whole family seems to just disappear!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Leic)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Cheshire/Leicester)