Author Topic: "Food for Britain" 1947 Australia  (Read 508 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: "Food for Britain" 1947 Australia
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 June 19 09:19 BST (UK) »
FOOD FOR BRITAIN programs organised through the Victoria League movement -perhaps as part of noble oblige aspect of Empire... now part of Commonwealth of Nations umbrella...

Victoria League Committees still exist apparently,   and were womens cttees - dating from 1901 ... wiki has an article...Victoria League mentioned in the citation for the OBE 1955 New Year Honours... see

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/206447286 Age 21 August 1953 Committee sending food parcels to Britain since 1946

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/103933644 Western Herald 3 Dec 1954, CWA Annual meeting Bourke branch (as in far western NSW)  sent Food for Britain parcels ….

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/62533860  Townsville Daily 1 Jan 1955
New Years Honour List … Order of the British Empire OBE  Miss J… McL…, of Brisbane for work in the interest of Community Welfare through the Victoria League and the Food for Britain fund.  (I did not type up the full name of the lass being awarded the OBE in 1955, I have no knowledge of if she is no longer living.)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 June 19 11:43 BST (UK) »
   Thanks for all your thoughts. I think if I want to delve any further, it will have to be through sources in Australia. Archives? WW2 museums? Victoria League committees. I read the Trove articles, majm, the organization seems to have been widespread.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 June 19 12:17 BST (UK) »
I think it was started and based in London,  and extended through all the Empires's Dominions .... I dont see it as 'Australian' .... the Wiki article I read mentioned South Africa, Canada, New Zealand ..... and that it still functions today for example with youth accommodation in London,  .... The Secretariat of the Commonwealth of Nations is more than just the Commonwealth Games ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.