Author Topic: Passenger record voyage from Liverpool to New York  (Read 173 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Member
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
Passenger record voyage from Liverpool to New York
« on: Wednesday 05 June 19 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone from New Zealand,

I have been receiving help in regards to my great great great uncle Johannes Prebensen and his family, with their voyage from Liverpool to New York. The original post can be viewed here:https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=813585.new#new you can see I had thought they had left from London. It was discovered that they arrived in New York in May 1872. Then I placed a post in New York, which can be viewed here: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=813879.new#new and it appears they arrived in New York on the 17th May, 1872 aboard the ship "City Of Brooklyn". But there is some doubt as the details recorded are incorrect.

The Prebensen family was:

Johahannes (aka John) b. 1825  d.1890 (Neenah WI)
Ane (aka Anna) b.1835  d.1915 (Neenah WI)

children
Karen (aka Carrie) b. 1861  d. 1924 (Neenah WI)
Jens Peder (aka Peter) b. 1864  d. 1944 (Neenah WI)
Juliane (aka Julia) b.1867  d. 1951 (Neenah WI) naturalized citizen in 1924
Christiane b. 1871  d.? (Neenah WI)

If it possible to locate a passenger record of the Prebensen family leaving Liverpool on board the City of Brooklyn in May 1872 would be fantastic.

Warm regards,

Ashley
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger record voyage from Liverpool to New York
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 June 19 06:40 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm the right family
Johannes Prebensen married Ane Marie Sorensen in Odstedt, Vejle ,Denmark

Name    Johannes Prebensen
Spouse's Name    Ane Marie Sorensen
Event Date    16 Apr 1858
Event Place    Odsted,Vejle,Denmark
Household 1870 census
Role
Sex
Johannes Prebensen
Head
Male
Ane Marie Prebensen
Wife
Female
Karen Prebensen
Daughter
Female
Jens Peder Prebensen
Son
Male
Juliane Prebensen
Daughter
Female
Chr Fred Vilh Carl Prebensen
Son
Male
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 June 19 06:44 BST (UK) »
you are just unlucky on this link - Old Mersey Times - it's a good read anyway - but unfortunately passenger list does 1871 and 1873 - but no 1872

http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/PassengerLists.html

ADDED City of Brooklyn steamship - on 29th May 1873 - landed in Liverpool - the list including the Captain and crew was 99 people - so it wasn't a huge ship - with a name like that I thought it was a Big ship
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 June 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
The UK Board of Trade didn't keep any passenger records before 1890.
You need to look at the US side for any records.
Or, perhaps the Canadian side? Passage was cheaper to Canada!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Member
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 June 19 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. garstonite yes that is the correct family. I know they left Denmark about the 20th April, 1872, I'm guessing they arrived in Liverpool a couple of days after that.
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."