Author Topic: Baptism of John Richardson help please it is in Latin  (Read 426 times)

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of John Richardson help please it is in Latin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 June 19 14:19 BST (UK) »
Edward John Richardson, born the previous day, son of Richard & Mary Richardson, marries couple,
Correction. Should have been "married couple".

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 June 19 14:53 BST (UK) »
The name Sheldon comes up again but in a completely different line!!

Have you seen this from "Victoria County History"?
"Victoria County History: County of Warwick Volume 5"
Kington Hundred: Parishes: Brailles pages 17-26.
Manors: Chelmscote: "The manor, which contained 330 acres of arable inclosed with hedges, as well as Dovehouse Close and other lands in Over and Nether Brailles    .   in 1772 Catharine Middleton, spinster and Willam Davies conveyed the manor of Lower Chelmscote to Richard Dodwell, acting perhaps for William Sheldon, who seems to have acquired it about this time."
British History Online
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol5/pp17-26
Catholics weren't supposed to buy land at that time, so transactions were done by subterfuge, through a friendly intermediary.

P.S. The article mentions R.C. chapel of SS Peter& Paul, built 1726 by a member of the Bishop family. ("Parishes of the Diocese of Worcester" by George Miller)  An earlier member of the family, William Bishop (died 1624) became Bishop of Chalcedon in 1623, the first R.C. bishop in Britain since Tudor era. He was in charge of all Catholics in Britain.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 June 19 02:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maidenstone. No I had not seen this. Very interesting and puts some different slants on some of the research I have been doing. It may take me off in a different direction. I had not expected this and yet..........

Family history brings some surprises!!!!!

Offline davidleslie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 June 19 03:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maidenstone. No I had not seen this. Very interesting and puts some different slants on some of the research I have been doing. It may take me off in a different direction. I had not expected this and yet..........

Family history brings some surprises!!!!!
Would this be the John Richardson married to Mary from Portugal born 1813, as she is my great great Grandmother and I am trying to trace her, I believe she was a Portuguese Countess and disowned by her parents

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 June 19 03:50 BST (UK) »
Warwickshire County Record Office website is Windows on Warwickshire
www.windowsonwarwickshire.org.uk
The Sheldon family collection includes a tapestry* map of Brailles estates, legal documents, rent rolls &c. The manor of Brailles was bought by William Sheldon in 1547. Chelmscote manor was held by Ralph Sheldon at the time the tapestry map was made, which was in 17thC, so a century before date when William Sheldon was said to have acquired it in "The Victoria County History".
The Sheldon family held property in several counties. There is a volume of chief rents for estates of Cherrington, and other places, 1728-1765, description says probably in possession of the Sheldon family.
The Sheldon who was around in late 16thC was a courtier.
*There was a Sheldon weaving workshop to produce such items.

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 June 19 04:30 BST (UK) »
The article mentions R.C. chapel of SS Peter& Paul, built 1726 by a member of the Bishop family. ("Parishes of the Diocese of Worcester" by George Miller)  An earlier member of the family, William Bishop (died 1624) became Bishop of Chalcedon in 1623, the first R.C. bishop in Britain since Tudor era. He was in charge of all Catholics in Britain.

In case you wonder where Chalcedon is  -  it's now a district in Istanbul. It was a bishopric in the early Christian church. Bishop of Chalcedon was in more recent times a titular see. Bishop William Bishop, and his successor as vicar apostolic for the pastoral care of Catholics in England (and Wales) were both consecrated as Bishops of Chalcedon. Richard Smith lasted longer than his predecessor but had to flee the country after 8 years.
Chalcedon was also a titular archbishopric for 2 Eastern Catholic Church dioceses in 20th century - Syrian and Armenian Rite.
An outline of the Apostolic Vicariate of the Midland District (later Central District) on:
https://www.secret-bases.co.uk/wiki/Vicar_Apostolic_of_the_Midland_District
The final Apostolic Vicar of the Central Vicariate (titular Bishop of Etalonia - no idea where it is) and 1st Catholic Bishop of Birmingham was William Bernard Ullathorne. He was a relative of my 2xGGF's cousin. When he retired he became titular Archbishop of Casaba which is in Egypt (but he remained in England). He continued the titular theme after death. He has a tomb in St. Chad's Cathedral, Birmingham but he was buried elsewhere.

;

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 June 19 02:54 BST (UK) »
This has been an incredible query. So much information and on two lines as well unconnected at the time in different places and timeframes! The Sheldon line was a marriage and is going to be interesting but I have a lot of work to do there. Holding land in different counties could well be the clue I need. The ones I am thinking of were not well off, but that often happened to junior branches as time went on. Thank you.

The weaving workshop was interesting. Some of my Richardson ancestors were silk weavers, but later in the 1800's and in Coventry. So probably no connection with that workshop. What a lovely job to have making tapestries.

Edward John had some important sponsors and this is all very intriguing. Thank you all so much.

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 June 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
Upper Brailles is in Warwickshire, Winchester in Hampshire and Cherrington is in Shropshire. Hampshire is next to Sussex.

Cherrington/Cherington confusion.  Name of at least 3 places in England.
1. Cherington, Warwickshire, a village and civil parish 3 miles from Shipston-on-Stour. Postcode CV 36. It's only a few miles from the Brailles villages. According to Wiki there's a community website for Cherington, Stourton and Sutton-under-Brailles.
2. Cherington , near Tetbury, Gloucestershire. Postcode  GL 8. Post-town Tetbury.
N.B. Both villages have only 1 letter r in their name.
3. Cherrington, Shropshire. N.B. double r in name.
So one godparent didn't travel far.
Edward Sheldon may have moved to Winchester for his career as a doctor.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 June 19 04:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Maiden Stone, that makes more sense.