Author Topic: The Question That Dare Not Speak Its Name...  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: The Question That Dare Not Speak Its Name...
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 06:25 BST (UK) »

The use of Irish taxpayers money to give records away for Free!

The Irish are a generous and kindly people, thank God!

Think of how things are in East Ireland, where you have to be rich to lookup GRO registrations.

How rich do you have to be ?   :P

Rich enough to afford charges of £9 per PDF copy or 11 quid for paper, plus £3 more for index search, if reference not supplied!

I have looked up hundreds of relatives in the Irish records over the years (I visited and viewed original records in person before they put material online). Because of the lack of detail in the GRO indices, finding the right person often means looking at 10+ registrations.   That being so, I have looked at many thousands of registrations over the years.  To do that in England would cost 10s of thousands of pounds to do the same! Would not have been possible.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens; CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter; COSGRAVE Castlebridge; CULLEN Lady's Island; CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook; DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack; FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown; HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wexford; McGILL Litter; MORRIS Forth Commons; PIERCE Lady's Island; POTTS Bennettstown; REDMOND Ballygarrett; ROCHEx2 Wexford; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit; SHERIDAN Monadurtlow; SINNOTT Wexford; SMYTH Gerry/Oulart; WALSH Kilrane/Wexford

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: The Question That Dare Not Speak Its Name...
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 08:51 BST (UK) »

The use of Irish taxpayers money to give records away for Free!

The Irish are a generous and kindly people, thank God!

Think of how things are in East Ireland, where you have to be rich to lookup GRO registrations.

How rich do you have to be ?   :P

Rich enough to afford charges of £9 per PDF copy or 11 quid for paper, plus £3 more for index search, if reference not supplied!

I have looked up hundreds of relatives in the Irish records over the years (I visited and viewed original records in person before they put material online). Because of the lack of detail in the GRO indices, finding the right person often means looking at 10+ registrations.   That being so, I have looked at many thousands of registrations over the years.  To do that in England would cost 10s of thousands of pounds to do the same! Would not have been possible.

Thank you for explaining.

I am in New South Wales,  Australia.  Most of my migrating ancestors arrived here from Scotland, Ireland, France, Switzeeland, California,  New Zealand, back in late 1790s to 1840s,  so I have very little need for English GRO registrations. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.