Author Topic: Simon Swetland b 1701  (Read 1031 times)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simon Swetland b 1701
« on: Thursday 06 June 19 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Please could someone help me please with reading Simon Swetland's baptism 1715. He was aged 16 and at the time had moved from Kilmington to Membury to start an apprenticeship in carpentry. The register for Kilmington for around 1700 has been lost but he may have been baptised there but his settlement papers from the overseers of the poor suggest he may have had to have been baptised in Membury in order to claim relief should he need it. It is a shame as now I will never be able to find who his father was.
I am particularly struggling with the bit in brackets!
If you can help I would be very grateful.
Best wishes
Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simon Swetland b 1701
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 June 19 00:06 BST (UK) »

I think the bit in brackets is ... (printis to tho hollwa), meaning 'apprentice to Thomas Hollway[?]'.

ADDED - or, looking at the other S's, maybe it's sollwa ?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 June 19 00:16 BST (UK) »
line 2 ...
novem ber the 20 – 1715 – About 16 yers of age

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 June 19 00:21 BST (UK) »

I think the bit in brackets is ... (printis to tho hollwa), meaning 'apprentice to Thomas Hollway[?]'.

ADDED - or, looking at the other S's, maybe it's sollwa ?

That is fanatic thank you as in the settlement papers is says he is apprenticed to a Thomas xxx (the surname was illegable, now we know what it is likely to be, so you have helped to solve 2 mysteries!
Thank you so much :)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 June 19 00:22 BST (UK) »
line 2 ...
novem ber the 20 – 1715 – About 16 yers of age

Great, thank you, the bit before 1715 was really hard to read to. I really appreciate your help :)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 June 19 07:31 BST (UK) »
I took a quick look a the All UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811 collection on Ancestry.  This collection is very useful for country apprenticeships.

There's one record for Simon as a master in 1730:

October 9 Simon Swetland of Kilmington Devon Carpenter Timothy Son of Mary Lidden 30 Sept 1730

The first date should be the date of payment and the second the date of Timothy Lidden's apprenticeship articles.

I couldn't find any record of a Thomas Hollway/Sollway/Hollman/Sollman as a master (I agree it's a w but wanted to be thorough.)

Not all apprenticeships incurred the duty.  From my experience, those involving a charity often are not recorded in these Registers.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 June 19 07:56 BST (UK) »
Not all apprenticeships incurred the duty.  From my experience, those involving a charity often are not recorded in these Registers.

Agreed. Also, parish apprenticeships, paid for under the poor law, were not subject to the tax and don't appear here.

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 June 19 10:27 BST (UK) »
I took a quick look a the All UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811 collection on Ancestry.  This collection is very useful for country apprenticeships.

There's one record for Simon as a master in 1730:

October 9 Simon Swetland of Kilmington Devon Carpenter Timothy Son of Mary Lidden 30 Sept 1730

The first date should be the date of payment and the second the date of Timothy Lidden's apprenticeship articles.

I couldn't find any record of a Thomas Hollway/Sollway/Hollman/Sollman as a master (I agree it's a w but wanted to be thorough.)

Thank you for looking up the apprenticeship for Timothy, that is interesting as Simon married a Mary Lidden/Lyddon, she could be his mother.
I think that Simon's apprenticeship was a charity as in his settlement papers the letter is written from the overseers of the poor at Kilmington to the parish of Membury.
Simon seems to have moved back to Kilmington to practice his trade. He had a son called Simon in 1729.
It seems to have really turned things around for the family Simon 1729's  son John 1761 was a carpenter and his son Simon b 1794 was a mason who moved to the US in the mass Devon emigration and he rebuilt Fort Henry in Philadelphia. He then moves to Canada and this Simon's son became a Dr. One of Dr John Sweetland's grandchildren became a Lady and another married a Senator's son. Social mobility wouldn't really have happened if they had stayed in Devon (like my direct ancestors!!!!!).
I feel quite sad as 1701 Simon's parents are not known and his will was destroyed when Exeter was bombed in WW2.
I have been scouring as many unusual documents as possible to find a clue as to his parents. Either the Kilmington registers were lost or the church was being repaired and people were being baptised elsewhere. I can only find a Simon born 1699 in Dalwood (the parish next door) to Dionysus Swetland and Thomasin Board which if the Kilmington church was out of action could be a possibility) but there is no way to know if this Simon is my Simon!
I wish I had a time machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much for your help as it all adds verification to Simon and other avenues to follow so there is still hope and I am very grateful.
Best wishes,
Emma
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 June 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking up the apprenticeship for Timothy, that is interesting as Simon married a Mary Lidden/Lyddon, she could be his mother.

There's a good chance that is so.  The wording in the Register of Duties suggests that Timothy's birth father is no longer alive.

Good luck with your search.