Author Topic: Searching for grave of Margaret Earl, (Glaister) Holme Cultram  (Read 870 times)

Offline sdmawdsley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for grave of Margaret Earl, (Glaister) Holme Cultram
« on: Friday 07 June 19 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody, my very first post so I apologies in advance for any in discrepancies.
I am having great trouble in finding the grave location for Margaret Earl nee Glaister, wife of John Earl and daughter of Mungo Glaister who Died April 1841 aged 22 years, A newspaper cutting ( The Cumberland Pacquet )  suggests the Burial was at Holme Cultram in Cumberland although visits have not been able to locate any memorial, I am in Cornwall so it is extremely difficult to make personal visits so any advice as to furthering my search would be gratefully received.
Yours in anticipation...

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for grave of Margaret Earl, (Glaister) Holme Cultram
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 June 19 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello and Welcome to the forum
we're here to help
You are right it was Holme Cultram
Margaret Earl buried 17 April 1841.

Unfortunatley I can only see the familysearch version which is just a transcript but at least it tells you you have the right church.

Can anyone find more ?

Ciderdrinker

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 June 19 12:39 BST (UK) »
This is all Ive found..

https://forebears.io/o?t=l&h=9l6

stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline sdmawdsley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 June 19 19:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you thus far, unfortunately the records only state from 1871 so I believe my next port of call may be Carlisle archive registry to see if I can glean anymore information from them, may have to wait till next march though, but thank you again,

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 June 19 19:54 BST (UK) »
Try sending them an e-mail with the details you have eg name, date and place, and asking them for any other details which may be given in the burial record. If you have the exact details they will usually do a quick, free, look up for you. Well they have for me in the past.

As for the exact location in the churchyard, have you thought of contacting the church? It is highly possible that there is no headstone to identify the grave, not everyone could afford to pay for one.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline sdmawdsley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Just to say thank you for the advice that's been given, I have phoned the vicarage and they are unable to help, also I e-mailed the Carlisle Archive office who were only able to supply information that I had already had so it is back to the drawing board I'm afraid so onward and upwards :)