Author Topic: Online 1850 Map of Haverfordwest area  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Online 1850 Map of Haverfordwest area
« on: Friday 07 June 19 16:42 BST (UK) »
Is there an online map of the Haverfordwest area of Pembrokeshire dating from around 1850 +/- 10 years? The area I am interested in is around Walton West.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Online 1850 Map of Haverfordwest area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 June 19 16:45 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 June 19 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response. Researching my famly tree, one family is living in Walton West and working as a Collier in 1851 and then again in 1881, between he is referred to as a Labourer. I knew there was mining in the area, but could not find anythng written about this specific area. Thanks to the map, I can see the place was full of pits and mines. Though now I need to find out what Culm Pits are.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 June 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
From the OED
Culm;  Coal-dust, small or refuse coal, slack. Hence, spec. applied to the slack of anthracite or stone-coal, from the Welsh collieries, which was in common use for burning lime and drying malt.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 June 19 17:53 BST (UK) »
Having responded, I searched online and found so much about its history. I knew the area had anthracite mines, but I had not come across the term Culm. I noticed, that where I am from in Carmarthenshire they are called Hovilles, which must be a very local name as it is not repeated elsewhere. When I drive around the Walton West area and along the coast it explains so much about the present landscape.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 June 19 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

Hearing the word Culm has beamed me back to when I has 10. (1954)

My Gran lived on a Farm near LLangolman. She used Culm for heating,cooking & curing Pig up in the chimney.

LLangolman is not far from Walton West.

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 June 19 20:03 BST (UK) »
Each day I am learning something new. Apart from Culm, today in the archives office, I found two ILLEGITIMATE children of their daughter. The shame of it! Researching would not be so much fun if they were a bunch of do-gooders. My family certainly were not.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 June 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hello again  :)

Goggle  genuki Walton West .Used find something helpful.

I hav`nt been to the Record Office for sometime now but loved going there.Going through Baptisums
I nearly fell off the chair laughing.I came across one which said Bastard son of.Vicar didn't mince his words.Here in Sussex they use Illegitimate our Baseborn  :)

I have learnt that what goes on now is no different

When my Greatgrandmother Jemima James married in 1881.She was 41 & her husband was 22.She
grabbed herself a Toy Boy  ;D
He didn't know who his Dad was,neither did his mother know who her Dad was
omega

PS Good luck with your research,enjoy

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 June 19 15:21 BST (UK) »
I found the child on a census record as Grandson. With the same name, I assumed it was the off-spring of a son and never considered illegitimate. Some time ago, an archives service member of staff suggested, it was accepted for women back then to have children before marriage, as it showed they were capable. At present, I have not found any marriage, but she is on the vey edge of my family tree. I am more surprised I have not found one closer to home. The main issue is chapel, as many registers are lost.

One woman was referred to as an imbecile, though she was in the asylum and wanting to leave. At 80 years old, these days it may be called dementia and a care home. Many of the males, through several generations were in court all of the time for drinking, fighting and then fined or sent to jail. Even the children were in court for trivial matters. The rough working class seemed to be picked on. Although I hardly knew my grandfather, I was aware he was a drinker and fighter. But I did not realise how deep and far it spread throughout the family.

I have been collecting newspaper articles. Some are pitiful, others funny and occasionally one lifts the spirits of humanity. Within them, funerals were the most informative as they list all present, with their relationship to the deceased. I found people through their husband's name and a couple who were living miles away, who I probably would never have found.

It is nice to know my family are not the only rogues.
I don't know how I turned out so normal.  :P