Author Topic: Help with Asherst Wills  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Asherst Wills
« Reply #36 on: Friday 28 June 19 22:27 BST (UK) »
His sisters, I believe, are mentioned in the second last line of snippet 4, ie. "Elisie Benette Alice Marione and Isabelle soror(?) mens (my sisters) their heirs and assigns to be equally divided (?)" I'm really not sure of my sketchy translation here.

Yes, sorry, my eye skipped that line, I think because of the misalignment. No wonder it didn't make sense! I'll look at Part 4 again.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 28 June 19 22:41 BST (UK) »
Part 4 (from the middle of line 2) translates roughly as ...

... called Bilham, with all the lands, meadows, woods and copyholds in the parishes of Kingsnorth, Mersham and Sevington (except those bequeathed to Thomas Essherst, tailor, and John Essherst, son of Henry Essherst) should remain entirely to Eliza, Benet, Alice, Marion and Isabel, my sisters, their heirs and assigns for ever, to be divided equally between them.  Item, I will that my aforesaid trustees ...

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 01 July 19 07:49 BST (UK) »
Part 4 (from the middle of line 2) translates roughly as ...

... called Bilham, with all the lands, meadows, woods and copyholds in the parishes of Kingsnorth, Mersham and Sevington (except those bequeathed to Thomas Essherst, tailor, and John Essherst, son of Henry Essherst) should remain entirely to Eliza, Benet, Alice, Marion and Isabel, my sisters, their heirs and assigns for ever, to be divided equally between them.  Item, I will that my aforesaid trustees ...

Thanks once more Bookbox for your assistance with these translations.

I have three more rather larger snippets from the same will. If you can help, just the gist of what is being said will do. Don't need the literal translation for these ones. And that will complete this will. Sorry, its been a rather long one!
Much appreciated, gloveg.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 01 July 19 07:50 BST (UK) »
This is the third one.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 01 July 19 17:21 BST (UK) »
Extract 5
His wife Joan to have for her lifetime all issues and profits from the lands and tenements ... [obscured by fold] ... in the parishes of Kyngyssnoth, Mersham and Sevyngton, and all issues and profits from the land and tenements that were leased from Richard Wodward* in Heanwod in the parish of Wyllysborgh. His trustees to hand over to his son John ...

[* It could be leased to Richard Wodward - hard to say out of context like this, as the case-ending is the same for both.]

Extract 6
If his son John dies without lawful heirs, the lands at Bevir, Berrowhell and Heanherst (except those already bequeathed to his wife Joan) should go to his daughter Joan when she comes of age. After his wife’s death, the lands at Bylham and Heanwod to go to his daughter Joan and her heirs for ever. If both his son and his daughter die under age and without lawful heirs, then everything in Essheford, Kyngyssnoth ...

Extract 8
His son John to pay 40 marks to his daughter Joan for her marriage portion, otherwise the money to be distributed by his executors in alms, charitable deeds etc. If he has caused damage to anyone or has deceived anyone, then Henry Essherst should make amends by making payment out of the testator’s lands and tenements while his son John and daughter Joan are under age. If his goods and chattels are insufficient to pay his debts, legacies and expenses, his executors should use as much as is needed from the profits of his lands and tenements in the first year after his death.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 01 July 19 23:01 BST (UK) »
Extract 5
His wife Joan to have for her lifetime all issues and profits from the lands and tenements ... [obscured by fold] ... in the parishes of Kyngyssnoth, Mersham and Sevyngton, and all issues and profits from the land and tenements that were leased from Richard Wodward* in Heanwod in the parish of Wyllysborgh. His trustees to hand over to his son John ...

[* It could be leased to Richard Wodward - hard to say out of context like this, as the case-ending is the same for both.]

Thanks bookbox.

I think that it might be "from" Richard Wodeward, as the wording is similar to that for John Williskynoth (can't read this name) whose name I think appears just above the end of the fold three lines above that of Richard Wodeward, but it would I think, be more likely that she was receiving issues and profits from them. Happy to know what you think.
Regards, gloveg

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 00:27 BST (UK) »
While I agree that 'from' is more likely, I'm reluctant to offer a translation where the text is not fully visible (or easily guessable), to avoid any possible misinterpretation.

At the end of line 1, there is no 'John', so I'm not sure where you're seeing that? The last four words on the line are p(er)tinent(es) que Will(elmu)s Kynett (or Kyvett), meaning 'the appurtenances that William Kynett ...'.

In the line below, after Sevyngton, the Latin is ... durante vita ip(s)ius Joha(nne)  Item ... (= ‘during the life of that same Joan. Item ...’).

We have had the surname Kynet or Kyvet before, in a different will in this thread (see reply #9 above).
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=814073.msg6750063

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 21:55 BST (UK) »
While I agree that 'from' is more likely, I'm reluctant to offer a translation where the text is not fully visible (or easily guessable), to avoid any possible misinterpretation.

At the end of line 1, there is no 'John', so I'm not sure where you're seeing that? The last four words on the line are p(er)tinent(es) que Will(elmu)s Kynett (or Kyvett), meaning 'the appurtenances that William Kynett ...'.

In the line below, after Sevyngton, the Latin is ... durante vita ip(s)ius Joha(nne)  Item ... (= ‘during the life of that same Joan. Item ...’).

We have had the surname Kynet or Kyvet before, in a different will in this thread (see reply #9 above).
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=814073.msg6750063

Thank you Bookbox for your reply. I have chosen to put "to/from" in my transcript of the will as I agree its hard to know which it is.

Also, thanks for sorting out the name of William Kynet/Kyvet for me. He possibly is related to the earlier Kyvet.

I want to thank you for all your help with this will. I now have the gist of it and it has been very helpful in my efforts to place the other members of the family who are mentioned in this will.
Regards, gloveg

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 22:19 BST (UK) »
You're most welcome. Glad it's been useful.