Author Topic: Help with Asherst Wills  (Read 3926 times)

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Asherst Wills
« on: Saturday 08 June 19 05:15 BST (UK) »
I would really appreciate it if someone was able to help with the translation of the Will of Henry Esseherst dated 1463 of which I have attached the first part of the will in two sections to this post and I will attach the second part of the will again in two sections in the next post.

I would like to know, in particular, if the second line in the second half of the will refers to Edwd (Edward), henry (Henry) and agatha (Agatha) and does the will state what relation they are to Henry Esseherst. Also in the third line of the second part of the will, is Agatha his wife or is she the agatha referred to in the second line.

Thanks, Gerelle

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Asherst Wills
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 June 19 05:17 BST (UK) »
This is the second part of Henry Essehersts Will 1493

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 June 19 19:47 BST (UK) »
(Extracts 1 & 2)
In the name of God Amen. In the year of the Lord 1463, on the Feast of St Luke the Evangelist [= 18 Oct], I, Henry Essheherst of the parish of Great Chart, in healthy mind and good memory, make my will in this manner. First, I bequeath my soul to Almighty God and the Blessed Virgin Mary and all her saints, and my body to be buried in the graveyard of Great Chart. Item, I bequeath to the high altar there for my forgotten tithes, 20 pence. Item, I bequeath to the high altar of the church of Kingsnorth, 10 pence. Item, I bequeath to the wooden image of St Laurence, 12 pence. Item, I bequeath for repairs to the vestments of the church at Chart, 8 pence. Item, I bequeath to the parish priest there, 12 pence. Item, to each of my godsons and goddaughters, 4 pence. Item, I bequeath to Henry Essheherst, one lamb. The rest of all my unbequeathed goods I give and bequeath to John and Thomas, my sons, whom I constitute executors, so that they should distribute them as will seem best.

(Extracts 3 & 4)
This is the last will of Henry Essherst of Great Chart, made on the Feast of St Luke the Evangelist in the third year of the reign of King Edward IV [= 18 Oct 1463]. First, the same Henry wills that Agatha his wife shall have the profits and issues of all the land and tenements lying in Chart aforesaid. Item, after the death of the aforesaid Agatha, all the aforesaid lands and tenements will remain to John and Thomas my sons for ever. Item, he wills that the said sons should pay 10 shillings for new timbers in front of the Holy Cross there, if they wish to do so for that parish, otherwise not; and they should pay 100 shillings to Thomasine my daughter for her marriage-portion. In witness of this matter, to this my last will I have fixed my seal

They agree with the originals <signed>

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 June 19 05:01 BST (UK) »
(Extracts 1 & 2)
In the name of God Amen. In the year of the Lord 1463, on the Feast of St Luke the Evangelist [= 18 Oct], I, Henry Essheherst of the parish of Great Chart, in healthy mind and good memory, make my will in this manner. First, I bequeath my soul to Almighty God and the Blessed Virgin Mary and all her saints, and my body to be buried in the graveyard of Great Chart. Item, I bequeath to the high altar there for my forgotten tithes, 20 pence. Item, I bequeath to the high altar of the church of Kingsnorth, 10 pence. Item, I bequeath to the wooden image of St Laurence, 12 pence. Item, I bequeath for repairs to the vestments of the church at Chart, 8 pence. Item, I bequeath to the parish priest there, 12 pence. Item, to each of my godsons and goddaughters, 4 pence. Item, I bequeath to Henry Essheherst, one lamb. The rest of all my unbequeathed goods I give and bequeath to John and Thomas, my sons, whom I constitute executors, so that they should distribute them as will seem best.

(Extracts 3 & 4)
This is the last will of Henry Essherst of Great Chart, made on the Feast of St Luke the Evangelist in the third year of the reign of King Edward IV [= 18 Oct 1463]. First, the same Henry wills that Agatha his wife shall have the profits and issues of all the land and tenements lying in Chart aforesaid. Item, after the death of the aforesaid Agatha, all the aforesaid lands and tenements will remain to John and Thomas my sons for ever. Item, he wills that the said sons should pay 10 shillings for new timbers in front of the Holy Cross there, if they wish to do so for that parish, otherwise not; and they should pay 100 shillings to Thomasine my daughter for her marriage-portion. In witness of this matter, to this my last will I have fixed my seal

They agree with the originals <signed>

Thank you bookbox for that translation which has helped me confirm that his wife is Agatha and that he also, in addition to his two sons, John and Thomas, had a daughter Thomasine.
Regards, Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 June 19 05:32 BST (UK) »
I have another early will. This time it's for Richard Assheherst of Kingsnorth 1464 which I would appreciate some help with the translation. I believe he mentions a wife and a daughter but I'm not sure they are actually named in his will. Again, I will insert the first half of the will in two parts in this post and the second half in two parts in the next post.
Thanks again, Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 June 19 05:33 BST (UK) »
This is the second half of Richard Assheherst's will 1464.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 June 19 10:21 BST (UK) »
This snippet out of the will of Henry Asharst of Great Chart 1593 also has me a bit confused as to what it says about his wife Thomasine in relation to his sons, Thomas and William. I would be very grateful if you could translate this bit for me as well. Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 June 19 10:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, forgot to attach this to my last post.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 June 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
I have had a go at the last extract as follows:

...do et lego Thomasine uxori mee qua(m) quide(m) thomasina(m)
unacum Thoma et Will(el)mo filijs meis facio et constituo meos executores...

Rough and inelegant translation:

...I give and bequeath to Thomasine my wife which Thomasine combined
with Thomas and William my sons I make and constitute my executors...

REVISED:

I have made a couple of changes to the texts above.