Author Topic: Help with Asherst Wills  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Asherst Wills
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 June 19 18:51 BST (UK) »
This time it's for Richard Assheherst of Kingsnorth 1464 ... I believe he mentions a wife and a daughter but I'm not sure they are actually named in his will.

The will was written on 18 May 1463. You are right that he refers to, but doesn’t name, a wife, sons and daughters. Probably there are only two daughters, as they're described as 'the elder' and 'the younger'.

There’s a bequest of 20 shillings to Henry Gardiner, and of 6 shillings 8 pence to Katherine Carter, no relationships stated.

The executors are Richard Rolf and John Taylor; witnesses Thomas Assherst, John Swan and Richard Kynet (or Kyvet).

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 June 19 01:07 BST (UK) »
Thankyou horselydown for that translation.
Regards, Gerelle

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 June 19 04:28 BST (UK) »

The will was written on 18 May 1463. You are right that he refers to, but doesn’t name, a wife, sons and daughters. Probably there are only two daughters, as they're described as 'the elder' and 'the younger'.
[/quote]

Dear Bookbox,
Thank you for help with this will. It was very useful to know that there were also sons and the information about the two daughters.

There is also another record for Richard Assheherst which to me looks like a post mortem will. I would be grateful if you could let me know the gist of the document and if it throws any further light on members of his family or property owned by him, etc. This is the first part of the document.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 June 19 04:31 BST (UK) »
This is the second part of the document.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 June 19 05:42 BST (UK) »
Gerelle, I have had a glance at this but don't have time to do anything until the other end of my day (plus some of it is beyond my ability).

However I will say for myself - and I expect Bookbox is the same - that images which are split vertically (so that a line is halved between two images) are much harder to work on than those where the line is intact on one image.

This is 23 lines.  Ideally you would break it horizontally into 3 segments of about 8 lines each.

However, please leave at least one whole line extra at both sides of the break.  Otherwise parts of the letters and important contraction marks will be lost in the breaks.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 June 19 06:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks horselydown for that tip. I wasn't sure which was the best way to break it. If you would like me to try again, let me know.
Regards, Gerelle.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 June 19 07:45 BST (UK) »
If you would like me to try again, let me know.

Please do.  You may be able to replace the images on your replies #11 & #12 using the Modify button.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 June 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Horselydown
I have modified my first two posts re: Richard Asshersts further document with horizontal images. The last part of the document, I post here. I hope this is easier for you to read.
Thanks again, Gerelle.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 June 19 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the new images, Gerelle.  They are much easier to read.

It's the last will of Richard Assheherst made and - the Latin verb is lect' - in the presence of Thomas Taylor, John Swan & Thomas assheherst on 18 May? in the fourth year of King Edward IV.

Most of the wording isn't familiar to me.  I think it may be a nuncupative will, although that word isn't used.

The other names mentioned are:

Thomas Hert
Alice Honywode, daughter of the sister of Richard
Henry Assheherst

One other which may be a person's name or a place name is something like Pynlyn (or Pynkyn) demyshacche.

I'm floundering with this one, I'm afraid.