Author Topic: George Mainland's ships  (Read 324 times)

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Mainland's ships
« on: Saturday 08 June 19 12:08 BST (UK) »
PS. Sorry I forgot to add the second attachment page.

MAPS
Mainland [Orkney/Middlesex], Hill [London/Bristol], Adamson [Fife], Nicholson [Fifi], Tippett [Cornwall/Devon],
Heays [Tasmania/England], Reid [England/Scotland], Halcrow, Williams and many others.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: George Mainland's ships
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 June 19 14:13 BST (UK) »
From what you have posted. He was Master of at least two vessels both of them registered in London UK. Port number 64.
He is mentioned in both Lloyd's Register and the Mercantile Navy List as being master of the vessel JANES.built in Sunderland 1840, 348 gross registered tons. A Snow, Owned by C Walton. Registered in London.
She appears to have made several voyages to the West Indies and the west coast of South America whilst under command of your ancestor.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=f_ANAAAAQAAJ&dq=%22mercantile%20navy%20list%22&pg=PR3#v=onepage&q&f=false
Page 65

The other Vessel PRINCESS VICTORIA No mention of him commanding this ship but as it was for a relatively short time the details have not been recorded in Lloyd's Reg or MNL.
There was only one vessel with this name registered in London in the timescale.
I have no doubts this is the one.

Built in Newcastle in 1830, a Barque of  372 GRT, owned by C Walton She made voyages to the West Indies.

His  Masters certificate number was 1301. I believe Ancestry have copies.

Crew Agreements for both vessels should be available from https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=london&_cr=bt98&_dss=range&_sd=1846&_ed=1853&_ro=any&_st=adv

Poster Westoe is knowledgeable concerning vessels built in the North East of England. Hopefully he will add more.
Your man is not recorded in the index of Lloyd's Captains Register. He is not listed in the MNL after 1860.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Mainland's ships
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 June 19 14:14 BST (UK) »
So he's off Orkney folk MAPS?

Skoosh.