Author Topic: Death of nun before 1934  (Read 1850 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death of nun before 1934
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 June 19 12:06 BST (UK) »

Her religious name was Sr. Albertune (I could be a bit off with the spelling)

Could she have been Sister Albertine?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 June 19 12:40 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the two brothers that were priests worked and died in Australia / New Zealand. Their obits and any mention of them in newspapers do not reference siblings in Ireland or their sister the nun. So no help there I'm afraid.

Yes. It's probably Albertine. Just checked Google and it's a religious name.
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 June 19 13:18 BST (UK) »
The Sacred Heart of Mary was a convent founded in 1872 in Crosby, in 1908 they founded the Seafield Convent of the Sacred Heart which was a girl’s convent school and ran until 1977 when it amalgamated with a boy’s school to become the Sacred Catholic College.

The convent was very near the RC church of St Peter and St Paul in Crosby. The church has a still active graveyard so it possibly has an area for the sisters’ burial. They have a website so they may be worth contacting.

Crosby is just up the road from Liverpool itself.

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 June 19 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. I will email them.
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline lancaster.jim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 19:23 BST (UK) »
There are two CD compilations of lists of nuns.  One - “Index of Nuns” [from 1795] pub Catholic Family History Society (2015) - has a note -

Approximately 94% of the over 14,200 records in the current CFHS database relate to nuns who professed later than 1795, and thus the Index of Nuns usefully complements, rather than duplicates, the detailed study by Dr. Caroline Bowden et alii of the families of nuns of the English convents in exile 1600-1800, the 'Who were the nuns? project', which can be referenced at wwtn.history.qmul.ac.uk. Note also that members of the English Benedictine Congregation (both monks and nuns) can be searched for at www.plantata.org.uk/people.php. It should be noted that some orders did not contribute data.
[enddquote]

It would appear that the order to which Sister Albertine belonged did not contribute to this Index.

The 1911 Census For England & Wales shows Mary O'Donnell as being at -

Seafield House, Great Crosby, Lancashire, England

Mary O Donnell
Sister Of Order   Single   Female      Age,40
Birth year,1871
Birth place, Clonnel Tipperary Resident
Occupation, Domestic Duties
Address, Seafield House Great Crosby

Archive reference,RG14
Registration district,West Derby
Registration district number,455
Enumeration district,30
District number,30
Sub district,Crosby
Sub district number,1
Census reference,RG14PN22329 RD455 SD1 ED30 SN9999
RG78 code number,1318
Piece number,22329

The English houses of this order are part of the Northern Europe Province of the order and there is a website at http://www.rshm-nep.org/page-11192.html  but there does not appear to be a contact page. The 'Catholic Directory' for 2011 (the most recent one I can access) has an address.  You could try to contact the order's archivist, giving the details you have -

The Archivist
Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary
54 Grange Road
London   W5 5BX

Email: provincial@rshmlondon.org       I suggest you mark it -“For the attention of the Archivist”

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 June 19 07:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder if she moved to Sacred Heart College in Liverpool - which is in the Abercromby district as it was known then ...
death notice aged 51 - fits age wise - a year out if born 1869
1919 -ODONNELL   Mary    age 51    Abercromby   Liverpool   ABE/57/81
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ozranga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 June 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
This one is possible as a Catholic burial 7 Feb 1915 age 45

Ford Cemetery Liverpool

Mary O'Donnell

There is another buried 24 Mar 1911 age 40

These are both public graves. (unlikely she would be in here)
I have searched the graves allocated to "mother Superior" which are mostly in Ford section I, no Mary O'Donnell in any of these and no sisters from Sacred Heart.
Smith, Corrigan, Hart. Walker, Mellett, Bridge, Brew , Nelson (Liverpool)
Smith, Parfrey, Corrigan, Conway, White (Cork. Ire)

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 June 19 08:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your comments.

I have emailed the archivist for the Sacred Heart of Mary. Hopefully I'll get a reply.