Author Topic: Index to Irish Wills 1484-1858: Where to find the wills?  (Read 954 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Index to Irish Wills 1484-1858: Where to find the wills?
« on: Saturday 08 June 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I sometimes use Eneclannís ďIndex to Irish Wills 1484-1858Ē on Find My Past.  My understanding is that this is an index to extracts or copies of wills which have survived and are still extant today.  Firstly, is that correct?

When I do find a will I am interested in, I usually find the reference number isnít very helpful, and Iím not sure where to go to find the will.

For example, the one Iím looking at now is:

Name = Robert Stevenson
Address = Ardkill, LíDerry
Grant = Prerogative Court, 1839
Document status = Transcript
Ref. no. = Prerogative Grant Book/F/218b

The year 1839 doesnít fit in with any of the surviving Prerogative Court books, so Iím not sure where I should be looking to find the will transcript. 

The PRONI name search does have Robert Stevenson indexed, but no known copy of the will.  There is a will/probate record for a Robert Stevenson of Ardkill dated 1847-1898 (D1046/374), but I think that must refer to a later generation.  Iíve tried searching the NAI catalogue, but didnít find anything.

Where should I be looking?

Thanks,
Gilby

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Index to Irish Wills 1484-1858: Where to find the wills?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 June 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hereís another example:

Name = Edward Stevenson
Grant = Prerogative Court, 1831
Volume = 4/236/19
Ref. no. = IWR/1831/F/399

Where do I find this one?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
You can't fish on a empty stomach so give the man one or two records so he knows how good it tastes.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 June 19 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

Since both wills Iím looking for donít fall into the dates for surviving Prerogative Court books (1664-1684, 1706-1708, 1726-1728, 1728-1729, 1777, 1813 and 1834) that would imply a copy does not survive?

So why is it listed in the surviving will index?

Gilby

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 June 19 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I sometimes use Eneclannís ďIndex to Irish Wills 1484-1858Ē on Find My Past.  My understanding is that this is an index to extracts or copies of wills which have survived and are still extant today.  Firstly, is that correct?

When I do find a will I am interested in, I usually find the reference number isnít very helpful, and Iím not sure where to go to find the will.

For example, the one Iím looking at now is:

Name = Robert Stevenson
Address = Ardkill, LíDerry
Grant = Prerogative Court, 1839
Ref. no. = Prerogative Grant Book/F/218b

The year 1839 doesnít fit in with any of the surviving Prerogative Court books, so Iím not sure where I should be looking to find the will transcript. 

The PRONI name search does have Robert Stevenson indexed, but no known copy of the will.  There is a will/probate record for a Robert Stevenson of Ardkill dated 1847-1898 (D1046/374), but I think that must refer to a later generation.  Iíve tried searching the NAI catalogue, but didnít find anything.

Where should I be looking?

Thanks,
Gilby

At the National Archives!

My understanding is that the Eneclann CD **only** relates to surviving wills/will extracts at the National Archives.

The surviving material is much broader than just surviving will registers.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens; CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter; COSGRAVE Castlebridge; CULLEN Lady's Island; CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook; DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack; FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown; HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wexford; McGILL Litter; MORRIS Forth Commons; PIERCE Lady's Island; POTTS Bennettstown; REDMOND Ballygarrett; ROCHEx2 Wexford; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit; SHERIDAN Monadurtlow; SINNOTT Wexford; SMYTH Gerry/Oulart; WALSH Kilrane/Wexford

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 June 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry I've no idea what the surviving will index is.
You can't fish on a empty stomach so give the man one or two records so he knows how good it tastes.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 June 19 11:11 BST (UK) »
I suppose my question is maybe more about how to search for material held by the National Archives.  Iím familiar with the PRONI ecatalogue where you can access and search a list of everything theyíve catalogued, but the NAI catalogue here seems more limited:

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-online-catalogue/simple/#!/

It does say that not all of the older records are on the catalogue, so that could explain why I canít find any evidence of the wills Iím looking for.  So basically the answer is that I need to be there in person to search through their hard copy indexes?

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 June 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
The end of the NAI link says
The will books for Armagh, Belfast and Londonderry are in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 June 19 15:18 BST (UK) »
The will books held by PRONI for Armagh, Belfast and Londonderry are for 1858-1921 and are digitised here:

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

The index Iím talking about is for pre-1858 wills.

If the wills are held at PRONI they should appear in the PRONI ďName SearchĒ (though I accept a small number of wills have slipped through the net):

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/ProniNames_IE/SearchPage.aspx

Also the two reference numbers I mentioned above donít look like PRONI references.