Author Topic: Index to Irish Wills 1484-1858: Where to find the wills?  (Read 8860 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Index to Irish Wills 1484-1858: Where to find the wills?
« on: Saturday 08 June 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I sometimes use Eneclann’s “Index to Irish Wills 1484-1858” on Find My Past.  My understanding is that this is an index to extracts or copies of wills which have survived and are still extant today.  Firstly, is that correct?

When I do find a will I am interested in, I usually find the reference number isn’t very helpful, and I’m not sure where to go to find the will.

For example, the one I’m looking at now is:

Name = Robert Stevenson
Address = Ardkill, L’Derry
Grant = Prerogative Court, 1839
Document status = Transcript
Ref. no. = Prerogative Grant Book/F/218b

The year 1839 doesn’t fit in with any of the surviving Prerogative Court books, so I’m not sure where I should be looking to find the will transcript. 

The PRONI name search does have Robert Stevenson indexed, but no known copy of the will.  There is a will/probate record for a Robert Stevenson of Ardkill dated 1847-1898 (D1046/374), but I think that must refer to a later generation.  I’ve tried searching the NAI catalogue, but didn’t find anything.

Where should I be looking?

Thanks,
Gilby

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Index to Irish Wills 1484-1858: Where to find the wills?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 June 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
Here’s another example:

Name = Edward Stevenson
Grant = Prerogative Court, 1831
Volume = 4/236/19
Ref. no. = IWR/1831/F/399

Where do I find this one?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 June 19 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

Since both wills I’m looking for don’t fall into the dates for surviving Prerogative Court books (1664-1684, 1706-1708, 1726-1728, 1728-1729, 1777, 1813 and 1834) that would imply a copy does not survive?

So why is it listed in the surviving will index?

Gilby

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 June 19 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I sometimes use Eneclann’s “Index to Irish Wills 1484-1858” on Find My Past.  My understanding is that this is an index to extracts or copies of wills which have survived and are still extant today.  Firstly, is that correct?

When I do find a will I am interested in, I usually find the reference number isn’t very helpful, and I’m not sure where to go to find the will.

For example, the one I’m looking at now is:

Name = Robert Stevenson
Address = Ardkill, L’Derry
Grant = Prerogative Court, 1839
Ref. no. = Prerogative Grant Book/F/218b

The year 1839 doesn’t fit in with any of the surviving Prerogative Court books, so I’m not sure where I should be looking to find the will transcript. 

The PRONI name search does have Robert Stevenson indexed, but no known copy of the will.  There is a will/probate record for a Robert Stevenson of Ardkill dated 1847-1898 (D1046/374), but I think that must refer to a later generation.  I’ve tried searching the NAI catalogue, but didn’t find anything.

Where should I be looking?

Thanks,
Gilby

At the National Archives!

My understanding is that the Eneclann CD **only** relates to surviving wills/will extracts at the National Archives.

The surviving material is much broader than just surviving will registers.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 June 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry I've no idea what the surviving will index is.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 June 19 11:11 BST (UK) »
I suppose my question is maybe more about how to search for material held by the National Archives.  I’m familiar with the PRONI ecatalogue where you can access and search a list of everything they’ve catalogued, but the NAI catalogue here seems more limited:

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-online-catalogue/simple/#!/

It does say that not all of the older records are on the catalogue, so that could explain why I can’t find any evidence of the wills I’m looking for.  So basically the answer is that I need to be there in person to search through their hard copy indexes?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 June 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
The end of the NAI link says
The will books for Armagh, Belfast and Londonderry are in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 June 19 15:18 BST (UK) »
The will books held by PRONI for Armagh, Belfast and Londonderry are for 1858-1921 and are digitised here:

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

The index I’m talking about is for pre-1858 wills.

If the wills are held at PRONI they should appear in the PRONI “Name Search” (though I accept a small number of wills have slipped through the net):

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/ProniNames_IE/SearchPage.aspx

Also the two reference numbers I mentioned above don’t look like PRONI references.