Author Topic: HP Deskjet Printer3634  (Read 1180 times)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HP Deskjet Printer3634
« on: Sunday 09 June 19 11:04 BST (UK) »
     I bought a new Windows 10 HP Celeron Laptop last week, and it is up and running fine, but there are problems with an HP Deskjet printer, which my sister gave me.      ....When I was using my old Windows 7 computer, whenever I wanted to scan a photo, I simply went to Devices and Printers, and scanned a photo to my computer from there.        Can't do that now.      I am not familiar with the HP printer.     I have no instructions for it.       I have no idea what the array of buttons on the left side of the HP printer are for.       It was a Dell 924 I had previously.       

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HP Deskjet Printer3634
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 June 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
Have you added the printer?

In Devices and Printers it should show. If it doesn’t there should be a button (I don’t use windows so not sure exactly what yours will look like) or perhaps a + sign, then if your printer is turned on you should hopefully see it and select it to add to your system.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/add-printer-windows-10

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 June 19 11:36 BST (UK) »

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 June 19 11:38 BST (UK) »
You probably need to install the drivers for the Printer/Scanner - that would have been done on your old laptop when the printer was first installed.  See here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-deskjet-3630-all-in-one-printer-series/7172306/model/8296174
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 June 19 12:30 BST (UK) »
         The computer guy who got my new laptop going also tried connected the printer.      He then put a photo I gave him under the lid and the printer went through the usual chugging motions  of printing out a photo copy - except that the ink had dried up and the A4 paper came out blank.      He said that was all I needed - the ink.       So I assume that the Drivers must have been there and working fine if he could get the blank print-out.      (I got new ink catridges and fitted them in).

On Devices and Printers, I see the name of the printer there.     However, with Windows 7, it was easy to click the image and then get the choice of a Preview of the image and the chance to crop the image.      Don't understand why I can't get that now. :P

I wonder if my wireless Laptop is compatible with the printer.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 June 19 12:37 BST (UK) »

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 June 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
McKha,
            I clicked on that link you just gave me, and when I scrolled down a little bit, it shows HP Deskjet F2400 series with image of printer.       I used to get the image of my old printer showing like that on my previous computer, and when I clicked on that then the image headed New Scan came up and everything worked.     Now, instead of an real image of any printers I have or had previously, all I get is the name of my printer with the outline of a printer, and not the proper image of the printer showing on your link.     This is the root of the problem.

When I click "Troubleshooting" it says, Printer Status: Idle

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 June 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
        Solved it.    ...I go to Start, but I DON'T type in Printers & Scanners.     I go to Windows Settings - Devices - Settings - Bluetooth & Other Devices - and there is my HP Deskjet Printer 3630 series with its own image showing.    Click that, and there is New Scan.     

Thanks a lot folks.     I opened every the link you all gave me to try to get a better understanding of what I should be doing.      Slowly & gradually, I managed to get there.

Thanks again!

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 June 19 19:32 BST (UK) »
That is a long way round to get the printer. The next time you go to the printer, right click on it and choose to Create a Shortcut. This will add a shortcut to your desktop for the printer.