Author Topic: Posthumous French WWII Bravery Awards  (Read 1348 times)

Offline linda51

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Posthumous French WWII Bravery Awards
« on: Sunday 09 June 19 21:48 BST (UK) »
How do I go about applying for a Posthumous French Bravery Award for my father? He was a French National - born & bred in France of a French mother and British father. Because of his activities against the occupying Germans in 1939, he joined the French Army as the only option to leave France, and was sent to North Africa. In 1943 the Allies defeated the Axis and French Nationals were instructed to join the Free French by De Gaulle. My father refused and cutting a long story short was flown into England, interviewed by the I.S.L.D and sent into training and then into occupied France. In late 1943 and 1944 he was in Rhone Alpes working with the Maquis / Resistance. I have documents from French Nationals confirming this and also completed American SASX questionnaires which mention him as a "British Military Intelligence Officer identifying landing areas" from NARA. 
I understand L'Honneur de la guerre was last awarded in 1947 and is not awarded posthumously.
Would appreciate some guidance.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Posthumous French WWII Bravery Awards
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 June 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
Just a guess, but you could probably do worse than start by contacting the French Embassy in London. If they cannot help, I am sure they can suggest which Government Department in Paris would be appropriate.
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 June 19 08:21 BST (UK) »
Another suggestion is to post this query on the Armed Forces thread on RC. Might be more military experts there.

Offline linda51

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 June 19 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies. I'll be taking your advice.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 June 19 16:42 BST (UK) »
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,
first of all , have you got his (french) military file?

Offline linda51

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
I applied for his French Service Record in 2004 (I think) and received one sheet of paper "Detail des services et mutations diverses". It basically gives details of where and when he joined, what and where he went - most of which I knew from his (eight-page) RPS interrogation in 1943.  Interestingly, it continues past the end of the war and gives three dates of times he was in West Africa - he worked as an account manager for various commerical companies in Nigeria and Cameroon - saying that he "rejoined his unit" and one entry reads he was sent to the office of recruitment in Dakar to rejoin his original unit".
In 2005 I visited the Pegasus Memorial in Caen and was told the Curator - Mark Worthington - is experienced with both English and French military records. His view was that a French Service Record would consist of a large amount of documentation and it was more than a little odd to have only one sheet of paper. He kindly looked into the situation, having pointed out that the French don't have closed records officially, they just say the records don't exist - his reply after three months of trying said that his enquiries had come up against a "brick wall"!

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 16:20 BST (UK) »
The first thing to do is to find his military fiche ( in France), then his military file in Vincennes.
In order to find his military fiche one must know his identity (forename and name , his date and place of birth , and where he was living when he was 20 years'old).
I can ask a volonteer to go and see and copy his military file , after having had the preceeding infos.

Mr Worthington is right , a military file is rather large.
If you want you can send infos by Personal message.

Offline linda51

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 21:09 BST (UK) »
Replied by PM. Thanks to all.