Author Topic: Death of Margaret Williams, Laugharne: 1908  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Margaret Williams, Laugharne: 1908
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 21:07 BST (UK) »
I am flexible at present as to when I use the library, but need to be organised with all the questions I am looking to answer. Most of my research has presented itself, it is only these deaths I have struggled with. Now the reference library has reopened, I need to see if the archives office have restarted working there on a Thursday. If so, I will book an appointment, as they may have other ideas how I could find the information.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 13:53 BST (UK) »
This morning I spent an hour in the library. I found the only feasible death of Thomas Williams in Llanelli Aug-Oct 1918, aged 87, birth estimate 1831. That would make him 2 years younger than Margaret which is consistent with census records. I first assumed, being estranged from his wife and children for many years, he would be buried in Llanelli and not a bought plot.

As for Margaret Williams, I cannot find anything other than the death in 1908 aged 72 years. I will write to the GRO asking them to clarify that from the original document, as I feel it should be aged 77 years.

The archive service have restarted providing some support in the library on a Thursday morning. Once I have more information I will book an appointment.

Later, I called at the chapel graveyard. I looked for the missing fragment which is quite a large piece of slate, but nothing. It was a long shot. Looking again at the main fallen piece and the stump remaining; something did not fit if they were placed together. Margaret had been added, but to the side and beneath there is the damage. Along from it is the date [damage]9th 1918, but they do not align; the date is considerably lower. I had been connecting Margaret Williams with the date, but now feel the grave holds three people. Could it be Thomas Williams? As the plot had already been bought, it would cost very little to bury him there. With burial records lost I will probably never know. I have the quarter, so the Carmarthen Journal may contain something. Although he was a drinker and fighter, always in court, or prison and then the asylum, he was quite a character, so his death may be worth writing/reading about.

After 1889, the gravestone would be erected for the 22 year old, but in 1908 and 1918, it would need to be removed for new information added. At some point the stone has split across and repaired with an iron pin, which is now where it has broken. The pin, when it corroded would have expanded, to cause such a fracture. In answering one question, more questions arrive.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 June 19 19:33 BST (UK) »
I`ve been told it`s like the Forth Bridge !! I`m trying to do a major review without adding any more names - it`s impossible !

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 June 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
I have asked GRO if they can check the age of death relating to Margaret Williams as I feel it should be 77 rather than 72.

I decided to split my family tree into generations. Margaret (Howell) and Thomas Williams were my great-great-grandparents. They had several children, but my main focus is Thomas. He moved to Haverfordwest and married Martha Jane Richards. That is an interesting generation, mainly because of the Great War. Thomas died and Martha Jane remarried in Carmarthen.

Today in the library, I managed to find her on the 1939 Register, that she died the following year with probate going to her daughter. It is a good feeling to have closure, if only one area. I still want to look through newspaper articles for informaton relating to both of them, as they were not living together. He was a Travelling Showman attending fairs and living in a caravan with his family. It would seem he ended his days in a caravan in Carmarthen.

I am determined not to allow this to get out of control. As some point, I would like to write my findings down, presenting all of the information. My interest was the Williams family in Laugharne, but now most relates to the Haverfordwest area. That is due more to the amount of information available.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 June 19 22:14 BST (UK) »
The death would have been registered with the details known (or believed) by the informant. It is quite possible that a death could be recorded as several years out (i have one that is 10 years out, but is definitely the right person).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 June 19 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre784,
I am realising, the age and therefore estimated date of birth can be way out, with Margaret Williams it ranges from 1827 to 1834. When that person is the last of the generation, it would be provided by an informant, who may not know with any accuracy. She was interacting, often through the courts, with her son in Haverfordwest who was not supporting her. I just found it strange the formal record seems wrong, when the right age appears in the newspaper.