Author Topic: Looking for a Wilson/Cuyler Marriage in Ontario.  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Looking for a Wilson/Cuyler Marriage in Ontario.
« on: Monday 10 June 19 13:52 BST (UK) »

I have a Stewart Wilson, Born 1827 Manchester, Lancashire, England.

At some stage he must have travelled to Ontario, Canada, - possibly with his Parents William and Sarah Wilson.

I'm looking for a Marriage for him in Ontario to Isobel Amanda CUYLER, who was Born in Ontario in 1861.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Wilson/Cuyler Marriage in Ontario.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 June 19 14:51 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit puzzled  ??? I found Stewart Wilson 19 Aug 1827 , son of William Wilson , weaver, and Sarah of Manchester and then Steward Wilson , son of William Wilson , weaver , and Sarah of Manchester , buried 23 Mar 1828 at Blackley St Peter ( Manchester ) , aged 8 months. These records seem to refer to the same person.

I can't find anything at all for an Isobel Amanda Cuyler , born 1861 or otherwise. I'm assuming you found a birth giving these two as parents ?

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 June 19 15:12 BST (UK) »
Of course you're not being dense Christine53!

Unless you have access to Canadian Records, you won't find Isobel Cuyler,  because she was Born in Ontario.

On the Geni Site there is a Stewart Wilson, Born Manchester, 1827, and later with Wife Isobel Wilson, (Nee Cuyler). They had 2 daughters, Lubelle and Juliette.

I can't see the Marriage though. Thanks for looking.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 June 19 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly .

I do have access to Canadian records and can't find anything at all for an Isobel Amanda Cuyler.
It's interesting that you mention Lubelle and Juliette Wilson as I've just been looking at an ancestry tree which they are part of. The tree has the parents as Stewart Wilson , born 1860 Canada , and Agnes Margaret Miller , born 1861 Ontario. Another tree has their parents as Stewart Wilson , born 1860 Canada , and Amanda Julietta Culyer , born 1861 Ontario. This tree has a marriage record attached , purporting to be for their marriage in 1890 but the record is actually for the Miller / Stewart marriage. The Wilson girls seem to have been born in North Dakota , USA .

Christine

Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 June 19 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Thanks so much for looking.

The info that I've been trying to follow up from the Geni Site looks to be garbled!

It's so annoying when you try to follow misinformation:-(

Apologies about this.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 June 19 15:37 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to her possible burial with other family mentioned....

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/93227118

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 June 19 15:43 BST (UK) »

Many thanks polarbear.

It sounds tragic:-(

I should add that I'm chasing a DNA Match to a Switzer/Cuyler family.

I seem to have quite a few DNA Matches in Ontario; which are on my 'Brickwall' Wilson (Paternal) side. I can't get beyond my Paternal Grandfather William James Wilson, Born Manchester, Lancashire, 1860, - and so it's a puzzle:-(

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 June 19 15:46 BST (UK) »

I wish I could work out where, (and if...) I fit in with these families!

Romilly ::)
Researching:

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 June 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
Can't help with DNA things but in case you don't have this record.....

A widowed Stewart Wilson married an Agnes Mary Millar in Sault Ste Marie Ontario 06 Jan 1890. He had several more children with her. They are in North Dakota in the 1900 census. Lubelle and daur who appears to be Juliette (with a shortened form for her name) are with them so I'm assuming this is your Stewart.

PB

Edited to add: is Stewart related to your William James?
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada