Author Topic: Looking for a Wilson/Cuyler Marriage in Ontario.  (Read 2060 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Wilson/Cuyler Marriage in Ontario.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
On with Stewart....

The marriage record for Stewart and Agnes has his parents as Robert and Isabella (incidentally, I think Agnes' second name s/b Margaret and Mary is perhaps a mistranscription of a shortened form on the original).

This appears to be the marriage of his parents. Scroll down to the bottom of the page....

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maryc/burnbrae.htm

So, possibly another Wilson/Brunton connection.

This should be Isabella with her family in the 1851/2 census. I believe her mother and little sister should have their name spelled Euphemia. On the sister Euphemia's death record, her mother's maiden name is given as Patterson. Click on split view at the top to see the image....

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/View.jsp?id=14111&highlight=42&desc=1852+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Isabella+Brunton

Robert and Isabella and family are in the Dakota Territory in the 1885 USA census. I'll post it shortly.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 16:18 BST (UK) »

Gosh, - that's amazing that Stewart Wilson's Mother was a Brunton!

The William James Wilson, Born 1860 in Kirkby Ireleth's Mother was Elizabeth Brunton.

I ordered quite a few Brunton Certs when I thought she was my Great Grandmother :-)

Many Thanks, - there must be some connection, I'm sure...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
1885 USA census....

In Fargo, Cass County, Dakota Territory, 01 June 1885.

Robert Wilson 50 Carpenter b. Canada father b. Ireland mother b. Ireland
Isabella 47 b. Canada father b. Scotland mother b. Scotland
Stewart 24 Carpenter
Jane 22 Dress Maker
Robert J 19 Printer
John 17
Wm 15
Wesley 13
Edward 11
Annie 7
Maud 1

All children except Maud b. Canada. Maud b. Dakota.

There is no sign of a marriage for Stewart and Amanda anywhere at the moment. On needs to be careful with the trees but one has a marriage date of Dec 1885, however no location is given. I'll have to doublecheck if I remember correctly, but I believe both he and Amanda were from the same area so perhaps knew each other;maybe she followed him out to the Dakota Territory and married him there.

So, a start. Need to go out now for a bit....will add more later.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 17:49 BST (UK) »

Thanks so much PB.

I think there is a Cuyler/Switzer connection with Rachel, - but some of the Trees on Ancestry seem very jumbled...(!)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 18:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, some of the trees are certainly jumbled so one needs to be careful with them. Having said that, one I have looked at in particular seems to have dates of birth for ancestors that were born long before civil registration began in 1869 so they must have had access to other sources like parish records or family bibles or something of a similar nature.

The possible Brunton connection was the reason I was looking at the same family you did. One never knows but there may be a connection between the 2 lines further back in time.

Do you use familysearch?

PB

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 18:05 BST (UK) »

Yes PB, - I use Family Search and have Registered on there.

That's how I found where all of my Mormon Matches came from!

Romilly ;-)
Researching:

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
OK. This record from FS was handy so I will post it for you.

Stewart's 2nd marriage....

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-Y39T-JZ4?i=45&cc=1784216

Rachel Cuyler's 1923 death s/b on there too but I haven't been able to bring it up.

PB

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 18:26 BST (UK) »

Thanks PB.

What an idiot I am!! I didn't realize that I could access Canadian Records on Family Search!

Romilly :-[
Researching:

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 18:32 BST (UK) »
 :)