Author Topic: Robert Henry Nevin 1848 - ? What happened to him.  (Read 2889 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Henry Nevin 1848 - ? What happened to him.
« on: Monday 10 June 19 15:44 BST (UK) »
1848 Born and baptised in Allendale, Northumberland. Parents John and Jane Nevin (MMN French)
1851 Census. At Allendale, Northumberland. Father is a lead mine agent
1861 Census. At Carrshields House, Allendale. Father is a lead mine agent
1861-3. Family move to Leadhills, Lanarkshire, Scotland
1867. Father John Nevin dies and Robert is the informant at death. This is the last known citing of Robert.

Other information
1871 Census. No sign of Robert in England or Scotland.
1877. Mother Jane dies but the informant is not Robert but his brother John F Nevin. Does this mean Robert is deceased?
1878. Brother John F Nevin dies. In his long will there is no mention of Robert as either a beneficiary, executor or witness.
1881. By this time all the other family members have left Scotland for Mirfield in Yorkshire (family connections there).

I did not find any records on Scotlandspeople post 1867 for Robert, including no death.
I could not see any newspaper articles on Robert on findmypast.
The Robert Henry Nevins who dies in 1914 in Tadcaster, Yorkshire, is not the correct person.
The Robert Henry Nevin born 1846 in Allendale was his elder brother. He died in 1846.
He is not with any of his siblings in later censuses.

Does anyone fancy seeing if they can find anything about Robert after 1867?

Thank you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Henry Nevin 1848 - ? What happened to him.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 June 19 15:59 BST (UK) »
I wonder if he went abroad as a young man - have you looked on passenger lists for him?

He was of age to set off out on his own. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 June 19 16:01 BST (UK) »
Mother Jane dies but the informant is not Robert but his brother John F Nevin. Does this mean Robert is deceased?

No anyone can be the informant. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 June 19 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Familysearch has a death in South Afica with that name , age 52 , 17th July 1900.
The informant is Albert French Nevin(son?).
There is also a death record for an Albert French Nevin 1945(born 1880) South Africa.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 June 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Familysearch has a death in South Afica with that name , age 52 , 17th July 1900.
The informant is Albert French Nevin(son?).
There is also a death record for an Albert French Nevin 1945(born 1880) South Africa.

ev

That is an interesting find I shall explore that. Thank you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 June 19 16:58 BST (UK) »
I wonder if he went abroad as a young man - have you looked on passenger lists for him?

He was of age to set off out on his own.

Thank you.

No have not done so but the later post by ev suggests that I need to do that.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 June 19 21:04 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the suggestions above and think this is most probably the correct Robert Henry Nevin.

I have looked at the passenger and immigration records on findmypast and Ancestry but do not find any records for him.

Looking at the records on familysearch seems to confirm that son Albert French Nevin had a wife Catherine (Catherine Wallace?) who survives him.

Catherine and Albert appear to have the following children (baptismal years)
1911 Louisa Margaret Nevin, 1913 Rhoda Helen Nevin, 1915 Patricia Nevin, 1916 George Wallace Nevin, 1919 Eric Vincent Nevin, 1919 Dennis Edward Nevin.

There is probably another child 1906-1942 Muriel May Nevin McBroom (McBroom is her married name)

And a Hugh (?) French Nevin no birth date but still alive at his father’s death in 1945, but George Wallace Nevin is not listed in 1945 for some reason so is he dead or?

There is a death for a Louisa Gebb (Gobb?) Nevin 1854-1939. Is this the wife of Robert Henry Nevin?

I am asking the moderators to transfer this thread to the South Africa board as that seems to be where the answers may be. What I would like if possible (I have searched for to no avail)

1.   The marriage of Robert Henry Nevin possibly to Louisa Gebb/Gobb especially if the record names his parents
2.   The marriage of Albert French Nevin to Catherine possibly Wallace
3.   Whether Robert Henry and his wife have any other children apart from Albert 1880
4.   Albert leaves a will in 1945 but I cannot see it as it requires a worldwide Ancestry sub and I have a UK one. What I would like to know is if Robert Henry Nevin left a will in 1900 (it’s not on Ancestry but could be on another site maybe)

Thank you

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 June 19 23:15 BST (UK) »
Update re

There is a death for a Louisa Gebb (Gobb?) Nevin 1854-1939. Is this the wife of Robert Henry Nevin?

I think the name is Gibb as there is a death of a John James King Gibb

who was born 1865 London and died 10 June 1922 at Turffontein, Johannesburg, Transvaal, South Africa. In the list of relatives was a sister Mrs R H Nevin

And if that is correct then this could be Louisa's birth

LOUISA  GIBB,   MMN BECKETT 
GRO Reference: 1855  March Quarter in GREENWICH  Volume 01D  Page 540

and some of the Gibb family did emigrate to South Africa in 1872

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi davidft,

http://www.graves-at-eggsa.org/main.php?g2_itemId=1323280, link to grave of Robert Henry Nevin. 

Regards

Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)