Author Topic: Robert Henry Nevin 1848 - ? What happened to him.  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Henry Nevin 1848 - ? What happened to him.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 09:54 BST (UK) »
It would appear that Louisa's surname was Gibb. Her brother was a John James King Gibb 1866-1923.  It is noted on his estate that his sister is married to R.H. Nevin.  Albert French Nevin was appointed as executor.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Catherine for the link to the grave photo, I wasn't expecting that.

Thank you Nookie for the note that Albert French Nevin was the executor of JJK Gibb's estate I had not come across that before.

I do think I have the right Robert Henry Nevin and his most likely wife is Louisa Gibb, I would just like to find the marriage to see if it names his parents to tie it up. I have found a few more leads so I will chase them up to see if they can help. I have not seen that Robert left a will but if there was one it could help sort out who were his children, I only knew of Albert but it appears there are at least two others.

Thank you both for your help.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 12:41 BST (UK) »
Found another son - Gerald George Nevin 1889 - 20 October 1936. Married to a Frances Devoy.  I have downloaded his death notice, so if you pm me your email address I will send it on to you.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 13:16 BST (UK) »
I have just found what I think could be a daughter - Louisa Margaret born +1 1911 who married a Harry Milne.  The witness is R.H. Nevin.  There is another possibility as well - Rhoda Helen who married a Langham Arthur Walker at the same church as Louisa. The witness could be an L Nevin. I have downloaded both.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 13:30 BST (UK) »
PM sent to Nookie
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 14:32 BST (UK) »
This is an extract from the report of Robert Henry Nevin's death in Port Elizabeth, Cape Town Province in 1900. Does the reference numbers indicate where the marriage record may be found? (It looks like L4 D2 whatever that means)

Offline Craig Nevin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 October 19 01:21 BST (UK) »
My name is Craig Hugh Nevin and I am the eldest grandson of Hugh French Nevin. My father Gerald Nevin was the only child of Hugh and I am one of four grandsons of Hugh. I was born in Johannesburg, South Africa 1960's and I have only a few memories of Hugh as he passed away when I was a child. I remember my dad talking about uncle Dennis. I migrated to Australia with my family in 1999 and now reside in Warwick, Queensland. This is a family update for now and I will provide more details later:
1. Hugh French Nevin
1.1 Gerald Nevin
1.1.1 Craig Hugh Nevin
1.1.1.1 Gareth Wesley Nevin
1.1.1.2 Jonathan Paul Nevin
1.1.2 Bruce Walter Nevin
1.1.2.1 Kelly Nevin
1.1.2.2 Lara Nevin
1.1.2.3 Mitchell Nevin
1.1.2.4 Myles Nevin
1.1.3 Wade Leigh Nevin
1.1.3.1 Joshua Nevin
1.1.3.2 Sarah Nevin
1.1.4 Grant Frederick Nevin
1.1.4.1 Jared Nevin
1.1.4.1 Shiloh Nevin

Offline Craig Nevin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 October 19 07:34 BST (UK) »
Further Update from my family records showing eight generations:
1. Nevin of Allendale owner of "The Riding" homestead
2. John Nevin of Leadhills m Miss French
3. Robert Henry Nevin m Louisa Becket
4. Albert French Nevin (1880 -1945) m Catherine Wallace
5. Hugh French Nevin (1908-1967) m Irene
6. Gerald Nevin (1936-2006) m Millicent Joy Chapple
7. Craig Hugh Nevin 1960's m Susan Van Der Walt
8. Gareth Nevin 1980's & Jonathan Nevin 1990's

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 October 19 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Craig,

Thank you for your posts. As you probably know the

"1. Nevin of Allendale owner of "The Riding" homestead"

were John Nevin 1780-1839 and Elizabeth Ridley 1788-1860. These are my direct line ancestors. It was when looking at their children that the enigma of Robert Henry Nevin came up. Over the years I had looked on and off to find where he went and it was not until I started this thread that I finally found out. So naturally I am grateful to all those who have replied to the thread.

David