Author Topic: Tamar Hough / Tamar Haigh (died 1879)  (Read 1660 times)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tamar Hough / Tamar Haigh (died 1879)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 10:24 BST (UK) »
Ray

Thanks for this; the 1891 census had eluded me.  I now find that Geo. Ernest died in 1898 at the age of 8.

While I knew before posting this thread that everything 'circumstantial' pointed to Jane being Tamar's sister, it would still be good to see in writing that this Jane's father was John Saywell, and that she was a spinster.  Unless some kind person (or a Saywell descendant) can find me a chapel record then I think it will need a certificate purchase to prove these points.  For aught I know, and 99% unlikely, Jane could be John's cousin's widow, if you see what I mean.

BB

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 16:14 BST (UK) »

Feb 13 1879 Whixall Chapel
Jane Seywell   32 Spinster Labourer Father John Seywell Labourer , She made her mark     
Joseph Bayley 21 Bachelor Labourer Father John Bayley Labourer     

Witnesses Richard Bayley & Ann Seywell     

Joseph 25 and Jane 34 in 1881 in Whixall     
With 1x of their children William H Bayley 9m   
PLUS     
Mary Seywell 10     
George 6

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 17:40 BST (UK) »
[Ray]

This stirs up the pot, doesn't it!  Mary Seywell was Jane's illegitimate child, baptised Whixall 23/10/1870.  I'm not sure about George as I can't get the 1881 page to come up as yet.  Ann Seywell, witness, could easily be Jane's still unmarried sister.

I can't find a Shropshire death for Joseph Bayley 1881-1884.

So this looks to be the right Jane but it throws the 1884 marriage into confusion.  And what an age gap between bride and groom.

Many thanks for this fascinating piece of detection.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 19:58 BST (UK) »
I can't find Mr Bayley either     .
Will look again tomorrow . . . . . footie / footie / footie     

::) ::)     

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 20:53 BST (UK) »
I think I've cracked it.  There were two Jane's, one born 1845 and the other 1846.

Thomas Saywell m Emma Done  Wem 1840
Children  Emma Sewell 1843 (Coton)  Jane  1845 (Edstaston)
Thomas died aged 24 in 1846 Wem.
Emma Seawell m Thomas Parry  (Edstaston)  1850
Parrys + the 2 Sewell girls are in 1851 Census.

Now I just have to make sure I match the right Jane with the right groom.  'Mine' is the daughter of John Saywell and Eliza Parsons.

BB

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
Here are some baptisms/marriages to throw into the mix:

Whitchurch Methodist Circuit

30th Sept 1888 Sarah Jane daughter of Joseph and Emma Sewell Born 29th Feb 1888 Abode Bradeley Green.

Is this the baptism for the birth found by Ray?

I also note that in the 1901 census the granddaughter of John and Jane Hough  recorded as Sarah J Saywell in 1891is showing as Sarah Hough ... with a birthplace of Bradeley Green.

There is this baptism Wem and Prees Green Circuit

Sept 10 1867 Joseph son of Jane Saywell Abode Whixall/ Prees servant born April 26 1866.

This Joseph married Elizabeth  in Whitchurch 29 May 1898 (surname transcribed as Leywell). Joseph and Elizabeth can be identified clearly in the 1901, 1911 census and 1939 register.

And just to complicate matters further in the 1871 Joseph Saywell is recorded as stepson of Edward and Elizabeth Griffiths living in Whixall and then we have this marriage. ( Have yet to locate him in 1881 and 1891).

16 Sept 1869 Newtown, Shropshire
Edward Griffiths and Elizabeth Seywell -21 spinster abode Whixall, Father John Seywell labourer. One of the witnesses is Jane Seywell, who made her mark.

There is a baptism for Elizabeth Saywell in Edstaston 21 May 1848 parents John and Eliza.

So might all of this be further circumstantial evidence supporting your proposition? Convoluted I know but were Jane and Elizabeth sisters?. Jane was Joseph's mother but Elizabeth "adopted " him? Joseph was father of Sarah Jane who was brought up by grandmother Jane?

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 09:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this detail Millmoor.  What a (typical?) family.

Sarah Jane 1888 looks to be a Whitchurch registration, but the censuses keep showing Bradeley Green, which must be on the Cheshire/Shropshire border; taking her back home for the baptism is not surprising, but nice to know.  I'm still looking for a Joseph marriage to an Emma, if it actually took place.

I'd got the 1869 Edward Griffiths/Elizabeth marriage and have found seven children, from William to Florence Elizabeth, but hadn't got to the 1871 Census record and so hadn't spotted Joseph; he's not with his aunt in 1881 in Prees.

Elizabeth, Jane and Tamar were sisters, among the children of John and Eliza Saywell.

Everything does just about make sense.  From a research standpoint the variations on the Saywell surname here make for an object lesson in lateral thinking:  Saywell, Seywell, Sewell, Taywell, Leywell and so on.

Regarding the issue of the two Janes, I conclude that Jane, sister of Tamar and daughter of John & Eliza, married Joseph Bayley (sister Ann as a witness helps clinch it).  The other Jane married John Hough, widower of Tamar, daughter of Thomas & Emma; it looks to me as if her only sister Emma died late 1865 with the burial on 02/01/1866 at Wem, aged 22.  I've not found Thomas and the re-married Emma (Hough) Parry after the 1851 Census entry at Coton.

I'm not sure if there are any more twists in this story, but my sincere thanks to all contributors thus far.  It's so helpful to bounce ideas off like-minded people.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 09:43 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this is baptism for George Saywell showing in the Bayley household in 1881 (Note another possible variation of the Saywell surname!).

Oct 23 1876 Wem and Prees Green Methodist Circuit

George James  son of Jane Seawell domestic servant and has the note " Baptised in the Parish of Bronington in the County of Flint".

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 10:19 BST (UK) »
Yes - shown in a subsequent census as born in Hanmer, Flintshire.

BB