Author Topic: Soot dealer  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Soot dealer
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
Didn't people clean their teeth with soot at one time?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 14:30 BST (UK) »
I'd only heard of the use of soot as a fertiliser and possibly as a soil "improver" ( on the grounds that dug in it made it look darker and hence richer)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 14:40 BST (UK) »
Didn't people clean their teeth with soot at one time?

Yes, my dad (born 1912) said he and his four brothers sometimes used soot to clean their teeth.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
Not that I'm suggesting that you could make a living out of selling the amount of soot required to clean teeth!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
Soot and milk drink for getting rid of the runs

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
Not that I'm suggesting that you could make a living out of selling the amount of soot required to clean teeth!

lol - I can't imagine many people buying soot to clean their teeth as all they had to do was run a finger, or a toothbrush, along the back of the fireplace to collect enough.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 23:56 BST (UK) »
Soot for teeth-cleaning was mentioned in the link posted in reply #2.  It explains that the reason behind it was teeth of chimney sweeps looked whiter in contrast to their faces.
Cowban

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 June 19 23:33 BST (UK) »
When I was a child my grandfather told me his mother cleaned her teeth with soot applied with a damp rag.
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 June 19 01:25 BST (UK) »
She would have done better to have used a clean damp rag.
There was a discussion about history of the toothbrush and teeth-cleaning on a radio programme "History of Stuff" last week. A contributor was a dentist. He gave his opinion on soot and other methods.
Cowban