Author Topic: Rough Rider and Farmer Without Farm  (Read 193 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Member
  • Great-grandmother Cheshire
    • View Profile
Rough Rider and Farmer Without Farm
« on: Tuesday 11 June 19 00:01 BST (UK) »
I have two different people, one who is 23 in 1851 and a Rough Rider and another 65 in 1881, who is a Farmer Without Farm. Could a rough Rider be someone who brakes horses for riding?
Thompson, Ikin, Oakes, Goulding - Winsford, Cheshire
Williams - Newcastle Emlyn, Cardigan
Williams, Brown, Rowlands, Howell - Laugharne
Williams, Richards, Laugharne, Evans - Haverfordwest

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rough Rider and Farmer Without Farm
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 00:12 BST (UK) »
Have you Googled  "rough rider"??

you get e.g.

1. A skilled rider of little-trained horses, especially one who breaks horses for riding.
2. Rough Rider A member of the First US Volunteer Cavalry regiment under Theodore Roosevelt in the Spanish-American War.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 00:52 BST (UK) »
I never thought of Google, but the first definition I imagine sums it up. He lives on Horse Pool Street.
Surely a Farmer without a Farm is unemployed, as he is not described as doing anything like agricultural labourer.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 00:55 BST (UK) »
Possibly unemployed,  or retired,  although 65 is young for a farmer. Could he have just lost his lease perhaps?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 07:16 BST (UK) »
You may find the following PDF interesting (it automatically downloads to you computer if you click the link).
www.bahs.org.uk/AGHR/ARTICLES/47n1a4.pdf

The above explains the "problem" recording farmers etc. on the census.

Cheers
Guy

http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information, this is my first Farming family, as most were Miners/Colliers or Fishing. The land today is agricultural, especially in Pembrokeshire, but in the 1800s it was the mining of anthracite. Where my search has moved to is Laugharne in Carmarthenshire. I have seen Retired Farmer, but being without lease makes sense. It has always been a feudal system with the Corporation/Portreeve holding much of the land and many properties, leasing them to poor tenants. Also the wealthy doing the same with the remaining property and land.