Author Topic: John B WARD master of ship Canada 1810 where born married ,died  (Read 10579 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John B WARD master of ship Canada 1810 where born married ,died
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 June 19 02:12 BST (UK) »
Some thoughts ... not in any particular order ...

Re NSW BAPTISMS
There are at least two baby girls with their mothers named as Mary PRESTON and their baptisms are recorded in the NSW Chaplains’ registers at St Phillip’s, Sydney NSW.   

List of Baptisms of Illegitimate Children drawn from the registers of St Phillip’s
Mary, daughter of James WARD and Mary PRESTON, born 1 February 1811, baptised 10 February 1811.
Noting this is one entry on a list, and does NOT give the baby a surname, nor does it note the name of the clergyman who conducted that baptism.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCX-73X   FHL993949

An entry in the register at St Phillips
A Baptism
Mary, daughter of John PRESTON and Mary, his wife was born 26 March 1811 and baptised 9 April 1811.   Noting that the name of the clergyman who conducted that baptism is not included in that transcription
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT6H-NHC  FHL 993949

Re James WARD – there were many by that name in NSW in the Macquarie era. For example :
a)   In the NSW Col Sec papers, there is a letter dated 4 Sept 1823 from a James Ward who arrived per the Britannia in 1797.  He is seeking to have his Certificate of Freedom replaced as it was lost in the Hawkesbury floods some six years previous. 
b)   In NSW Col Sec papers,  there is a letter dated 5 Jan 1811 from a James Ward who arrived per the Surprise in 1790…
c)   In NSW Col Sec papers there is a record of a James WARD in the Military receiving rations from the Hawkesbury stores 10 June 1809

Re John PRESTON and Mary PRESTON …. Neither of those names with that spelling are included in the Col Sec papers index :

http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/

a chap named John PRESTON, arrived Sydney 28 December 1809 a Private in the 73rd Regiment, and left 28 March 1814.   
A chap named John PRESTON married Elizabeth RICHARDS 27 Sept 1810, and that marriage is recorded in the registers at St Phillip’s

A Baby born Feb 1811 was likely conceived around June 1810.  The Canada left England in March 1810.   When did it arrive in Rio and how long did it stop there?  And as mentioned earlier, have you sought the details of the garrison forces on that voyage who were guarding the convicts?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 June 19 06:25 BST (UK) »
Thankyou JM...Thought I might as well finish the story...

Mary Ward married a convict, William Payton, in 1828 in Pitt Town, NSW,
and they had four children  before Mary's early death in 1837. 
It is believed that the children were then raised by their maternal
grandmother - Mary Preston - who had married a convict, Patrick McMahon
in 1813.  Of Mary and William's four children, the girls retained their
Payton surname until marriage while their son adopted the McMahon
surname of his step-grandfather as it is today...
I know the voyage took 6 months to NSW via Rio ..never really thought about how long at Rio or the soldiers aboard. I have seen six of the sailors names as they fled when arrived in port Jackson..no excitement there and the Family is quite sure Mary was single when she got on the Canada...Dont know the confusion with John B Ward the ship master and James Ward, but I guess at the end of the day its J Ward potentially the father. Some of the relations have had DNA done one in particular has 156 DNA matches to Ward . Two are actual Ward men the rest have Ward as ancestral surnames. Busting to ask them if they are related to the Stockton-on-Tees, Durham, England Ward...Oh and from information gathered from this forum  I did find that this John B Ward had a brother Thomas b.1770 however with parents named Margaret and John I can not understand the B... Looks like John B Ward may have got his Marine master ticket 1809 and March 1810 on the Canada to NSW return via China back to London April 1811 then off to China again back October 1811...all in all an interesting story  cheers Rick 

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 June 19 07:17 BST (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/628064?searchTerm=ship%20canada&searchLimits=l-decade=181|||l-year=1810

There were two male convicts, and some regular passengers aboard. 

Ricky, where did you see the initial B written?  Is it a definite B?  (Trying to eliminate some of the Capt John Wards I'm finding)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 June 19 13:46 BST (UK) »
Some thoughts ... not in any particular order ...

A Baby born Feb 1811 was likely conceived around June 1810.  The Canada left England in March 1810.   When did it arrive in Rio and how long did it stop there?  And as mentioned earlier, have you sought the details of the garrison forces on that voyage who were guarding the convicts?

JM

According to Lloyd's List of 03/08/1810 page 344 CANADA arrived Rio Janeiro from Portsmouth on 02/06/1810
The same publication. Page 360, says she sailed Rio Janeiro 12/06/1810 for New South Wales. No captains name given in both texts but I have no doubt it's the vessel in question.

CANADA was built in 1800 by Francis Hurry & Co, North Shields.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 June 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
GoodMorning
Claim a Convict: Search for a Convict - Hawkesbury on the NET....This site allows you to search by convict or by ship...I went with ship and Canada 2....meaning 2nd convict voyage

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 June 19 21:01 BST (UK) »
I havnt noted the source for this piece of infomation but at the top of page its has a picture [an impression] two rows of the wooden ships moored and used as prison ships..just as I imagined it would look like..would rootchat allow me to snapshot and post here??
The Canada was built in North Shields and owned by Rieve and Green. She brought convicts to Australia in 1801, 1810, 1815, 1817 and 1819. On this voyage in 1810 she carried 12 guns and a crew of twenty six men.

THE CONVICTS

The prisoners came from counties in England and Wales including Northumberland, Wiltshire, York, Lancaster, London, Salop, Middlesex, Devon, Surrey, Gloucester, Huntingdon, Chester, Kent, Suffolk, Nottingham, Somerset, Essex, Cumberland, Salop, Hertford, Stafford, Berks, Worcester and Glamorgan.

The Hull Packet reported that on the morning of 18th February the following female convicts left York Castle, in order to be delivered on board the Canada transport lying at Woolwich, under orders for Botany Bay -

Eleanor Walsh, Nancy Taylor, Elizabeth Richmond, Sarah Williamson, Anne Hubie and Mary Ogle (alias Acton), Elizabeth Hall, Elizabeth Smith, Elizabeth Bailey and Mary Kershaw who were under sentence of seven years transportation. Harriet Tyler and Mary Ann Drake were conveyed from the County gaol in Ipswich to Woolwich also under sentence of 7 years transportation. [3]

FREE PASSENGERS

Free passengers included George Phillips; William Walsh (later appointed Constable in Sydney) and William Walsh junior; Missionary Henry Bicknell who had recently been married to Miss Mary Adams of Adber. He had recently been at Otaheite where he resided for thirteen years, and was returning there with his new bride via Sydney. His nephew George Bicknell also came on the Canada. Ann Well came free, she was the wife of William Wells who arrived on the Fame.

CARGO

Cargo brought out included 5 cases of hats, 10 trunks of prints and 5 crates of earthenware. [2]

DEPARTURE

The Canada departed England on 23 March 1810 and sailed via Rio de Janeiro.

PORT JACKSON

They were off the Heads at Sydney on 7th September however could not get into the harbour until at least late on the evening of the 8 September 1810. The date the Canada entered Sydney harbour is officially given as 10th September 1810 (HRA).

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 16 June 19 21:30 BST (UK) »
Just some snippets from previous mails
The Canada left on the 23 March 1810 from Woolwich,Gravesend and Portsmouth arrived Rio 2nd June 10 days there left 12 June to 7th September NSW...are all these departure points the same or do we have a different ship

he Canada departed England on 23 March 1810 and sailed via Rio de Janeiro.
delivered on board the Canada transport lying at Woolwich
CANADA Ward sailed from Gravesend (London) on 8/March/1810. For Rio Janeirio
 Lloyd's List of 03/08/1810  CANADA arrived Rio Janeiro from Portsmouth on 02/06/1810
she sailed Rio Janeiro 12/06/1810 for New South Wale
They were off the Heads at Sydney on 7th September

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 June 19 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It is best to avoid infringing copyright,  so best to refrain from sharing snips from websites mastheads.  Instead,  just provide the live link.

I have been examining some transcriptions for marriages.  What info on the PAYTON = WEARD marriage gives you confidence her mum arrived per Canada in 1810?  Noticing that NSWBDM online index has WEARD as bride's surname... 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 16 June 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
Mary Preston was convicted of theft at London's Old Bailey and
transported to Port Jackson, New South Wales (not Brisbane) on the
"Canada" in 1810.  ....

Mary fell pregnant on the
journey.  Her daughter whom she named Mary Ward was born in early
February 1811 and baptised later that month, her baptism at the church
of St Phillip's and recorded under the heading of "baptisms of
illegitimate children in 1811". She was baptised as Mary Ward, and her
parents were named as James Ward and Mary Preston.....

Perhaps I should stress that the baptism register does NOT give the baby a surname ....  and the illegitimate list is a compiled list.  One of my ancestors is listed on a similar list for a different year in the Macquarie era.  It is entirely possible those males named on those lists are invented names. 

Baby was not baptised as Mary Ward.  She was baptised as Mary. 

JM