Author Topic: KEENANS OF ROSCOMMON  (Read 3879 times)

Offline DanielSollars

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
KEENANS OF ROSCOMMON
« on: Tuesday 16 August 05 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am looking for information anywhere on a Michael Keenan born in 1866 in what I think was Ballaghadereen, Roscommon. He was born as per his marriage certifiate in 1866.  His fathers name was Michael also.  I think he may have had an Aunt Bridget that moved to Wigan England in 1853.  Michael was living in Wigan by his 20s and married Catherine McCaffery 1890.  I desperatly want to know where for sure the Keenans came from and if anyone can find a birth record of Michael Keenan 1866.  I am still on the hunt for his Death Certificate that may give me more information.  Once I have a town or village were he was born I then could possibly start to go further back and research his father (Michael).  Many Thanks Daniel Sollars

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: KEENANS OF ROSCOMMON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 February 06 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Daniel, in case you are not aware - if Michael Keenan was born in Ballaghadereen he was a Mayo man. The town was in the area transferred to Co. Roscommon by the Local Government Act of 1898. LDS film number 1279232 (items 1-9) would include a record of his Baptism. If you view it, be prepared to be flexible with birth dates, many were older than their given age.

Offline DanielSollars

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 06 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  The fact that he would be a Mayo man makes sense as in the 1901 census he is down as being born in Mays Ireland. 
Unsure what Mays meant but it possibly could be Mayo.  You gave me a reference to view the baptism record.  Where do I need to go to view this?

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 06 21:16 GMT (UK) »
The Latter Day Saints Library microfilm number 1279232 contains the Baptismal and Marriage records for the Catholic Parish of Ballaghaderreen (historical name Castlemore and Kilcolman).
http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=showidrecords&CityCounty=Roscommon&parish=Castlemore&churchid=119
You would need to order the item from a LDS Family History Centre. If you are still in Michael's area there is one at Chorley.
The film rental would cost around £3.50 and it would remain at the centre for about a month, you could request an extension. The register is likely to be faded in parts or illegible, the quality varies widely. You might need to decide how confident you are that Michael came from Ballaghaderreen as it could be a time consuming and difficult task.

One reads that the Civil Registration index of Births 1864-67 is included in the online IGI, http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true also on the British Isles Vital Records CD's into the 1870's (perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm the coverage - or suggest an alternative plan). Neither Michael or any siblings are apparent online, though many were not registered, Castlereagh would be the Registration District (Poor Law Union).

It seems that the records are at the National Library of Ireland with resident genealogists for advice. I might try it myself sometime.
http://www.nli.ie/new_what_res.htm